Friday, December 29, 2006

Nik Finishes 8th in Bugsy's Club Tourney

Bugsy's Club actually doesn't have freerolls, but they have micro-entry tourneys in which you can win a seat in a bigger entry tourney - which I did. The micro-tourneys are rebuy and add-on tourneys so you end up spending a little anyway.

I won a seat, got in and soon found out I had won a seat in another rebuy and add-on tournament! So not only would I have to fight a bunch of all-in 'catch lightening in a bottle' players, but I was going to have to open up the wallet again also. Oh, well.

This close to freeroll I won, ended up costing me more than I normally play for. By the time I got thru with all the add-ons - one before the tourney started and a double one at the break - I was in DEEP. Everyone is doing it and you will be short-stacked if you don't participate.

Just to give you an idea, I gave 6 units to get in the original qualifier, it cost me an additional 66 units to play in the tourney I 'won' the seat in. Winning the seat 'saved' me a whole 16 units. Big deal!!! A nice prize pool developed however as 172 entered and re-bought and added on. On to the action:

I was doing ok early - stole some blinds and won a small pot. But then my QQ got cracked by 34 unsuited. Yes, I raised but he called from the button and got the straight on the turn. That cut me in half.

I limped in and had to go all in with KQ when the flop came Q84 four-handed. An A4 suited called me as he had the 4's and the Q8 were of his suit. He didn't get there.

I went all in again with 33 against AJ suited and won that race. That made me healthy and the very next hand I got AA, overbet the pot slightly and got called by the BIG STACK. The flop was 7Q3. I move all-in and he calls with his KQ suited with only one of his suit on the board and he never improves. Now I got chips!

I try to steal a pot with 54 suited in the big blind when the flop comes 239. A big stack goes all in so I have to dump it. Cost some ammo however.

I get the the final table in great shape as my AK outlasts a good size stack all-in with KQ. I reach the final table in 6th place. Not bad for a guy who just got his butt handed to him by the NPP internet boyzzzzzza!

My cards go absolutely dead after I steal the first pot of the final table. I mean I never saw a card bigger than a ten or gapped worse than 3 spots. This lasted an hour! Awful. Meanwhile the smaller stacks went all-in six times against the bigger stacks during this time and they won every confrontation. They got healthy and I got sicker and sicker!

I call an all-in by a somewhat smaller stack with TT and he has 88. The 8 on the turn was a crusher. I go all in next hand with JT and get called by AK and 99. Needless to say, I was out in 8th place.

For my investment and not going to bed until the wee hours of the morning I did make back 10 times my entry. - Hank Dagny

No comments: