Sunday, December 10, 2006

Nik Finishes 7th in Poker. com Tourney

Poker Poker (or Poker .com) is the newest addition to my rotation. The software is kinda vanilla but some features make the site playable. Not as many cheap tourneys as I would like to see, but enought to be on the play rotation.

The tournament player count is small enough where if you do not have 6 hours to commit to a tournament, the 50 to 400 player tourneys on this site might be up your alley. This one had 56 players.

I'll give you the hand that propelled me to the final table. I went pretty much card dead after this.

Three tables about 27 players left. Only the final table cashes. I am in my usual low area in chip count (2400) and time is getting short. Blindes are 100 - 200. I'm in the small blind with AT suited in hearts. The under the gun and the guy next to him call the 200 big blind. Three middle guys also call, so I have an easy call and the big blind does not raise. That's right - 7 of the 9 players see the flop. There are 1400 chips in the pot.

The flop is 5s 7h 9h. I got the nut heart draw, a backdoor straight draw and two overcards. The flop could of been alot worse for me. I throw a 200 bet out there to see where I am at. Everybody folding would be fine with me.

I get 5 callers. They can have everything from slow-playing trips, high cards looking to hit or a straight draw like me.

The turn is the 6c. Now anyone with an eight got there. I pretend it is me because I still have both the straight and flush draw left. That is enough outs if I get called. I bet the 400 standard raise.

Yankee raises to 800, Fox calls, Senor raises 2000 and Lottabluff goes all-in for 6400 chip and it is on me. That was not the plan. They both must have the eight that I pretended I had. What to do?

I have 1800 chips left and will be in kind of rough shape if I fold. On the positive side of folding, I will get 8 or 9 hands to choose one to make a last stand.

But what about calling? There is 7000 in the pot that I can fight for. That is almost enough to cover my flush draw if I call. Do I think the pot will get juicier if I call?

Yankee has 1000 left and may go ahead and commit. Fox has 500 left and should call on whatever draw he is chasing. I think it is worth a shot here that I will get more than the odds to draw to my flush. Plus there may be 2 or 3 eights still available for my straight if that can hold up if it gets there. I call all-in.

Better than expected - as both Yankee and Fox call - as does Senor.

River 3h. MONEY card! Happy dance!

Yankee has an 8 for the straight and is busted. Fox and Senor fold without showing - also busted. I take the main pot and Lottabluff takes the side pot with 8h 6h.

Whew! Dodged the straight flush draw for Lotta. Hitting the flush was a break, but the biggest break was all those players having hands justifying them filling the pot, and making the flush worth chasing for me. Then I hit - and they did not. Those chips carried me to the final table.

To do well in tourneys, you have to be good AND lucky. - Nik

1 comment:

Nik Faldo said...

The password is 'K2ofclubs'. I told Fourputt to fix his mistake a week ago. I registered just fine.

I'm going to have to go to one password for a while. The hired help cannot spell and the players can't figure out a CAPS error.