Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Matchy Wins 2nd NPP Internet Tourney in a Row!

Actually - make it three! Matchy won the tourney to end the regular monthly game also. Quite an accomplishment against this group of players. No one in the history of NPP has dominated this group like this - this early. Although Larry P handled himself at the main game from the git-go.

Quite a few firsts happened in this tourney:
First time players had internet connection problems (cigar4john, Hlam14 and 747)
First time we played HORSE instead of NL Holdem.
First time we had a back to back winners of the tourneys, back to back - Matchy and me.
First time we had the same two players finish 1,2 - Matchy and Beerhog.
First time your host failed to get a point in the internet tourneys (ouch! - that hurt to write).


On to the game:

Boother (8th) thought it was Razz and spent his last chips calling down Sev4Sev's two pair with an 8-low (pair of 6's). Ouch!

I (7th) was the next player gone. I got 5 very good starting hands in a row that turned into feet as soon as my chips went into the pot. That's poker. As the guys watching the chat box will verify - I took it well.

Hlam14 (6th) is eliminated as his K-high straight is beaten by Beerhog's A-high one.

Matchy's two pair ended Cigar4John's night (5th).

Matchy then eliminated a gallant survival run by Sev4Sev (4th) in Omaha.

Matchy took out DavetheDog (3rd) next.

That left a repeat of the final two from the last tourney. Very nice guys. Matchy had the chip lead early but Beerhog wrestled it away in Razz when Beerhog's 65 beat Matchy's 75.

Matchy got the chip lead back as he 4-flushed showing in a big pot of 7-stud and Beerhog gave it up.

The end came when Matchy's QQ22 (1st) beat Beerhog's 8855 (2nd). Congratulations Matchy!

I will post the standings one last time prior to the tourney on the 28th. Password - 10ofspades.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I get to pick next weeks tourney I want HORSE again unless most of the rest of you object. I enjoyed the change of pace, but I am cool with all Hold 'Em as well. Please voice your opinions below...

Matchy

Nik Faldo said...

Nope Matchy, you won fair and square and the next tourney is already posted for Dec. 28th. HORSE!

Nik 55
Beerhog 53
Match 43

I took that bonus point away, Match as I decided it doesn't seem right to get extra points AND have a short tourney to win. The winner of the short tourney shouldn't be penalized - but should not benefit either.

Anyway, a victory by you next week and we will have co-NPP internet champions!

Beerhog said he will not be able to play in the last one. That is really disappointing as I would rather not back in to the top points winner.

Beerhog - do what you can to make it pal.

Anonymous said...

I cashed in my first HORSE tournament.

I appear to be a natural at this.

Like a duck to water...

Anonymous said...

No problem taking away the bonus point, I did not think I would even get ten for winning a 4 man tourney. I also don't see any reason to take yourself out of the running, which means you win. Why should the guy who does all the organization exempt himself? Just my opinion.
Matchy

Nik Faldo said...

Thanks Matchy, but I won the title simply by playing in every tourney - which is fine - but that may happen again next year too.
So it would not be right as I can schedule around my conflicts but nobody else can.

Besides - how does the KING OF ALL POKER IN ALL THE WORLD award the poker world's most prestigious awards (NPP's) to himself every year?