Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Nik Wins NPP Internet #8 - Hlam Open

Weird night. Short night. Plenty of missing players.
How does the guy who the tournament is named after - miss it???
How does the probable tournament winner - CigarJohn - show up 1 minute late???
How does your humble scribe and host win the tournament without hitting a single flop???

Very weird evening. We all have stories to tell, but as champ and writer, you have to listen to mine.

The tournament starts off with me having to fold 99, KK and AK suited as I of course bet pre-flop, miss the flops and have to fold because there are raises after the flop hits. I am already low chip man and Beerhog has yet to go all in once. Not good.

The Sack goes out (6th) as his K7 loses to J8 with a board of K2J86.

Beerhog gets the 'bad beat' of the night when he is ousted (5th) as his A9 suited is called by Matchy's 43 suited in spades, and three spades come on the flop and a 4th on the turn.

SpartyToJo is gone (4th) as he loses back to back hands to Boother. They both get a ton of chips in the pot - 33 for ToJo and Q9 suited for Boother. The board is all paint of AQJT. And when a rag hits the river, ToJo bluffs at the pot and Boother calls him down. ToJo's suited 52 lose to Boother's Q7 the next hand.

I managed to sneak in some pots as my A6 wins as the flop is 68J23, with more garbage on the turn and river. Boother bets and I call and he has A9. My bottom pair wins. That same type thing happens two more times and now I got a little bling in my stack.

I take the chip lead when Boother's A9 runs into my JJ and it holds up.

Matchy takes out Boother (3rd) when Boother's QQ gets run over by Matchy's K2 with a king on the flop.

Matchy plays well and wrestles the chip lead away from me. But Matchy's dual hands of A2 lose to my TT and 77, as no ace comes on the boards and I close it out.

I don't think this has ever happened before where someone wins a tournament and did not hit a single flop except for a few bottom pairs. I never even hit a flop with any of my folded hands. I never had a hand bigger than a pair, and they were usually in my hand. Incredible!

1st - Nik Faldo
2nd - Matchy
3rd - Boother
4th - SpartyToJo
5th - Beerhog
6th - Sack

11 comments:

Nik Faldo said...

My ego doesn't have anything to do with it. I just think it was a strange situation to make it thru without ever having a hand bigger than one pair.

Ok, my ego has everything to do with it.

Every woman wants Nik Faldo. It's a rough existance I have to put up with.

Anonymous said...

It is indeed strange, and to me says something about hiding in the weeds during a tourney then jumping out and making your presence known after a few people are blown out. It also says something about my skill when I can't beat a guy who never has better than a pair! You gotta like a little poker education that only costs $5.50 and is learned in the comfort of your living room on a Tuesday night.
Matchy

Anonymous said...

just goes to show how bad the competition was, I'll try to make it to a game soon I hear all the newbies tolly brought are easy prey, Ill be in town for next game

Anonymous said...

Yeah Punch I am the only recent newbie and I am confident that I have proven the ease of which my funds can be transferred to others during the course of a poker game.
Matchy

Anonymous said...

Pokerstars can go fuck themselves.

Pokerstars can go fuck themselves.

Pokerstars can go fuck themselves.

Pokerstars can go fuck themselves.

Herbavor

Anonymous said...

Hey! Where's my cut for bringing in a weak player in order to sweeten the NPP prize pool?

Nik Faldo said...

Fourputt - didn't you get your cut? I set it up so it would be put into your PS account when you registered for the Tuesday tournament.

Oh, that's right. You failed to show - again.

Nik Faldo said...

Herb, have you been playing poker on Poker Stars again, while missing the toruney with your buds?

No wonder the site screwed you over. I have it set up that way.

Anonymous said...

herbavor - this is a family site and we do not appreciate your profanity. :-(

Nik Faldo said...

I agree with Herbavor by the way.

Anonymous said...

the cards dealt by PS are random just like anywhere else. Geez.

It's the competition on PS that is tougher.

Herbavor and Nik have the wrong attitude about PokerStars.

[Editors note: the much loved and feared fourputt is not on the PS payroll....yet]