Sunday, November 12, 2006

November 06 Game Was Classic Poker

Six players made it to the gate. We all tried to meet at a local pub for a pre-game beer and cigar, but the place did not allow cigars (the dirty bastards!).
Herbavor was held up by road construction and Thai Food was late because...well, he is always late.

The game started with five players. Joining NPP was 'Matchy' the 75th player to sit at the hallowed felt of NPP. Thai Food made it six when he got there.

Herbavor started out by getting smoked in hands and Beerhog was on fire early. The fortunes were reversed by night's end.

Thai Food won a big pot near the end from 7forty7, and I lost a stack on the last three hands myself.

The NPP players showed their usual rude behavior to first time players, by never letting Matchy get rolling.

The ring game and big winner of the night was Herbavor, with Thai Food blowing past me and 7forty7 on the totals board in the last three hands.

The tourney was won by 7forty7 as his AK took out my A9 suited.
Beerhog went out on the bubble.
Thai Food was 4th.
Herbavor, arm weary from chip stacking in the ring game, went out 5th.
Matchy declined to enter the night ending affair.

Next NPP game is December 16th.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the game last night despite my losses, thanks for having me! I guess I've got some learnin' to do when it comes to hi-lo games and all the flop possibilities (but limited raising possibilities) your game presents. A defining moment for me was when I bet out a flush after Thai Food folded and Herbavor won with a full house. Before we showed our cards Thai said "I knew you had a better full house" to Herbavor and I said "Uh-Oh". There were many second and third best hands that I was too dumb to fold, hopefully (for me) I will learn.

All that aside it was a pleasure.

Matchy

Anonymous said...

Welcome to NPP matchy. It's like some of the sharks there can see through your cards!

Nik Faldo said...

Glad you enjoyed the game. You are a gentleman - which gives us a grand total of 1 at the table!

Matchy, it is a good group of guys - but a very very dangerous group of poker players.

You are player #75 to grace the felt in a game that started in 1993!

It started out quarter-half and we played every Friday night.

It morphed into it's current form of a monthly date when we hit our first lean years 1997/1998.

We morphed into our current stakes when Thai Food brougth some downriver gamblers to the game. They decided later not to return because they did not like the A to 5 low, wanted to bet after declaring, and one other reason that escapes me at this writing.

But the genie was let out of the bottle stakes wise. That led to some lean years of not too many games 2000 thru 2002.

Outside of a slight drought of games in 2004/2005, the game has been pretty steady since. We normally only have to miss a couple dates in the summer as weddings and vacations cost us players.

We have seven steady players - that includes YOU - three part timers, and two having a 'timeout'.

In my experience over the almost fourteen years of having a game, the 50 - 50 rule applies. That is you can always count on half your regulars and half your part-timers. Doing the math (everyone from Ann Arbor - don't try it. You will hurt yourself as there are fractions involved), that leaves us with a steady six-man game. Which is exacly what we had last game. NOT ENOUGH! Seven is the number we need.

Once again guys - recruit at every opportunity.