Thursday, August 12, 2010

LittleRedElf Gives Some Insight Into His Poker Genius

Every NPP’er is always on alert when LittleRedElf (LRE) is at their table. At the start of the tournament, the groans that follow his arrival at your table are so loud they actually drown out the cheers of the people who see Faldo at their table.

LRE has been unbeatable at times on the NPP felt and he is a consistent winner in tournaments on the world’s biggest poker site – PokerStars. He is just as dangerous in live action, holding his own in both tournaments and cash games.

LRE sits down with Faldo to discuss his success in poker.

Faldo: First of all, thank you for your time. I know talking to me is costing you money – unless we play heads up as we chat. Can you give your fellow NPP’ers some insight into your poker success?

LRE: I have a confession to make. In the past three and a half years I have not done well playing No Limit poker online at PokerStars.

Faldo: What? I don’t believe it!

LRE: I know what you people are thinking in the NPP league. Didn't he just win a seat in the finals this past quarter and didn't I have a very good season last year in the league? Yes, that is true. But away from the league, I have lost money playing No Limit Holdem online. Lots of it.

But I have done very well in the past ten years playing No Limit in live settings and I have done well playing No Limit online in prior years at other sites.

Faldo: Well, you are confirming what I already know. It is getting harder and harder to be a winning No Limit Holdem player on PokerStars. Well, frankly anywhere on line. The competition is getting better and better. So, what is the solution?

LRE: What is sustaining me lately is playing different games. I have done well playing Limit Holdem, Razz, 7 Card Stud High & Hi/Lo, occasionally Omaha High and Hi/Lo, and HORSE which encompasses all of these games usually in a Limit format.

Faldo: Good point. I know a few players that have moved to Omaha and Omaha Hi/Lo because the seats are softer.

LRE: So my fellow NPP players, I suggest playing in some limit game tourneys for several reasons: There are far fewer players doing so which makes it easier to make a final table; and in my opinion there are not very many extremely good players. I feel both of these reasons will add to your bankroll. In my case, even though I have lost a lot of money in No Limit, my overall total return on investment (ROI) in online tournament play in the past 3.5 years has been 177%.

Faldo: Wow! That is an incredible number LRE. Especially after admitting you are negative in NL Holdem over that same period. Congratulations to you!

LRE: I do have some recent nice finishes to report which illustrates my point. On July 11, I finished 2nd in a Limit 7 Card Stud Hi/Lo tourney. There were 70 players, it took a little over 5 hours to complete and I received almost 12x my entry.

On July 14, I won a tourney of the same kind of game. There were 40 entries, it took 4 hours and I received 13.5x my entry.

On July 21 I won a Limit Razz tourney. There were 39 entries, it took 4 hours and I was paid 13x my entry.

On July 31, I won a Limit 7 Card Stud tourney. There were only 21 players, it took 3.5 hours and I got 9.5x my entry back.

On August 2, I got 5th place in a Mixed Pot Limit Holdem/Pot Limit Omaha tourney. There were 62 entries, it was over in 1 hour 45 minutes and I received 4x my entry.

Also, the same day I finished in 3rd place in a Limit Razz tourney. There were 98 entries, took 5.4 hours and I got 11.5x my entry back.

On August 4, I won a Limit 7 Card Stud tourney. There were 35 entries, it took 4 hours and I received 12.7x my entry back. On August 6, I won a Limit Razz tourney. There were only 20 entries, it took 3.3 hours and I was awarded 9x my entry.

So, my fellow NPPers, play some other game types and perhaps I'll see you at the tables. Faldo, you will be there, right?

Faldo: Uh…..no. One of the things Faldo has decided to do is really concentrate on ‘game selection.’ I’ll find a softer tourney – without you in it – no offense, in which to try my luck. I'll be glad to root for you from the rail however. I sweat enough bullets on Tuesdays – thank you very much! – end

Many thanks to LittleRedElf for the report.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks like a BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN MOMENT to me!!!!!!!!

Nik Faldo said...

Anon...I am sure every moment looks like a possible BBM moment for you...or to you....twhs.

Absea98 said...

Nice article about a class act! LRE proves that you can win while still being a gentleman.

Brian said...

Nice post - and Elf is 100% right when he says it's tougher to make money in NLHE online these days. The fish are all at the mixed games, anyways.

Always hilarious to watch people not paying attention to what game it is, and doing stupid shiiiiii...errr, stuff like capping in Razz when they think it's Stud, and vice versa.

fourputt said...

Elf,

What books have you found helpful to your poker game?

I still like one of the first homework assignments Nik Faldo gave me years ago:

Get a deck of cards. Deal out three face up and figure out the "nuts". Repeat until done.