Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Matchy Wins NPP #49 – Creating Co-Champions! Boother and Rownder!

Rownder and Boother had to feel like they was set upon by the masses. We had a record tying TWELVE players at the game tonight! Nice job guys!

Boother needed to win with Rownder finishing no better than 5th – in order to wrestle the title away from Rownder. On to the show:

On hand #10, Sev4TSev (12th) – who had a great year in his own right – had his (AK) hit a [K] on the flop – only to be looking down the barrel of Duder’s (KK).

As least he went quickly. Me and Farrell – not so much.

On hand #64, a short-stacked Farrell(11th), who had his (AK) run down to cripple him, gets all-in with (QQ), only to see Rownder spike an [A] on the flop while holding (A6).

My (Faldo – 10th) end came on hand #72. After ducking two lethal hands against Boother that could have ended my night (trips against a FH and a flopped two pair against a flopped straight), my crippled stack gets all-in with (TT) but lost to Duder’s flush.

At least I now have a front row seat for the drama unfolding!

At the 57 min mark, ArticBlast (9th) – who missed the first 20 minutes of the tourney, raises and gets called by Cigar4John {welcome stranger} and the prodigy Bronco76. A flop of [Jc 4h 8d] gets another round of betting with Cigar folding. The turn of [3c] has Artic bluffing all-in with (Kh 2h) and getting called by Bronco with (KJ) – and it was over.

Right before the break, a shorter stacked Cigar4John (8th) makes a move and gets all-in with (QJs) and is called by Boother’s (55) and no help arrives for the Queen and her jester.

At the break, only one man has Boother covered, and Rownder still is lurking:
Duder 3900
Boother 3100
Aqua 3100
Matchy 2550
Bronco 2150
DavetheDog 1900 (welcome back too!)
Rownder 1300

At the 70 min mark, Bronco76 (7th) gets all-in with (Q8) with a flop of [8KT], only to run into Duder’s (K8).

At the 75 min mark, Rownder (6th) gets all-in with (JJ) and Matchy calls with (K9) and the flop comes down [KQ6] and no more hooks arrive. The back door swings open for Boother!

At the 80 min mark, DavetheDog (5th) checks his BB to Duder’s call and a flop of [4c 4h 8h] arrives. Dave goes all-in with a semi-bluff holding (Qh 2h) and gets called by Duder with (KQ). No hearts or duck arrive and the King kicker plays.

Duder (4th) has the chip lead but runs into some better hands at this point – mostly losing to Boother, who took over the lead. At the 100 min mark, Duder’s bad luck continues as his trip 4’s run into a quiet Aqualung’s straight, and we are three-handed.

At the 105 min mark, Aqualung (3rd) spikes a pair of Jacks on the turn and makes a move with a board of [8AQ] [J], but Boother is holding (AT).

We are two-handed and Boother has a 2 to 1 chip lead. His buddy Matchy stands between him and the 2007 NPP Player of the Year Award. But there are no friends on the felt, so the battle is on!

Ok, I screwed up here. I will admit it. The end came fast after about a 15 minute battle where Matchy was gaining no ground at all. But he hit two big hands back to back and it was over. Win #4 of the year for Matchy. Congratulations!

I didn’t get them because as I started to write them down, the tournament ended – which is normally no problem.

But Matchy, Boother and I started chatting and PS closed the table down before I got the hand numbers! I have written Poker Stars twice but can only get the hands up to the break for some reason. My bad.

So, guys – can you comment on the last few hands at the end there for everyone?

1st – Matchy
2nd – Boother
3rd – Aqualung
4th – Duder
5th – Dave the Dog
6th – Rownder
7th – Bronco76
8th – Cigar4John
9th – ArticBlast
10th – Mikeniks (Faldo)
11th – Farrell
12th – Sev4TSev

The point totals to be posted later show a tie at the top between Boother and Rownder!
Co-Champions for 2007!

5 comments:

Nik Faldo said...

The NPP Management is deciding which is a more rewarding prize for winning NPP Player of the Year?

Full entry, plus room and board in Vegas for every WSOP tourney in 2008, and free $1000 hookers - OR -

Your name posted on the right side of the blog itself?

I knew you all would agree with management's decision.

Matchy said...

If anyone cares I do have the final hand mostly memorized. I had Boother covered in chips but not by much and held Jc9c. Flop had a 9 with 2 hearts and one club. Boother went all in with Jh2h and I called. The turn was a club and we were both 4 flushed. The river was Jd and I won w/ JJ99. Thanks for setting up the year Mike and thanks to Davethedishwasher for suggesting it (and a rare appearance). Hope all you guys have a merry Christmas and a kick-ass 2008! I feel the real champ of 2007 was Mikeniks, not to take anything away from the excellent play of Boother and Rownder. I feel it is a pretty good accomplishment to dominate like these guys did considering any one of us slackers can win on any given Tuesday.

Anonymous said...

While I am honored to be a Co- Champ with the likes of Rownder, I do have to agree with Matchy that our gracious host is far too humble to not consider himself for the title. When Nik posts the final numbers, he will be head-n-shoulders above everyone else. This tells me he is truly the NPPI2007POY!!

I’m really looking forward to the 2008 format with quarterly winners and a Tournament of Champions at the end of the year.

Boother

p.s. Thanks Mike Nik’s for organizing the NPP all year and the great commentary on the blog site!!

Nik Faldo said...

Thanks for the kudos for the site and the commentary.
It was all the brainchild of Dave the Dog!
He is the webmaster and deserves half the credit. Ok, a quarter.
Ok, a tenth.
Nevermind, screw him!

I had no dominance - I simply played in the most tourneys.

For fun I will be putting the 'stats' up from this year up until next year starts. Some true - some not so much. ;-)

I was not the 'top' dog in several catagories. But what the stats will show is that we got a very evenly matched group and some damn fine players on this site.

You guys want me in the mix for next year's title? Ok. Bringing out the "A" game next year. I will even put in an effort and act competitive next year. A foreign concept to me.

I normally don't care if I do well and wish we would not even keep score. That is how I roll.

Anonymous said...

For the champions here's an extra special link treat: