Saturday, January 09, 2010

Let’s Review a Tournament Hand Together

I wish I got more of these in my inbox (twss).

I know NPP’s are pretty savvy players. But it still is a benefit to put the ego away for five minutes, and send Faldo a hand that you think – maybe – you didn’t play correctly.

I won’t divulge the player either. If the player wants to identify themselves in the comment section, that is up to them. But reviewing hands played and discussing strategy really does make EVERYONE better.

Chess players – those trying to improve anyway – do this religiously. Every time I lost to a higher rated player, I always asked if they would like to go over the game. Victors rarely refused to “re-live” their triumph (feeding their ego for my benefit). They would point out where I let the game go from being “even to “advantage” – better player”.

I learned a hole in my opening, or a lack of purpose in the middle game or a position blunder in the endgame. Now change the chess wording to poker wording (pre-flop, flop, and turn-river, and you have the same chance to analyze. You should be approaching poker this same way.

Ok, enough lecturing. On to the hand:

Our NPP Star wrote: “My trip 5s lost to trip Jacks here. Didn’t see it coming (twss). Did I screw up?”

120/240 Ante 25 – MTT No Limit Hold'em – 6 player per table tournament.

Seat 1: Dye (13,150), is sitting out
Seat 2: Dirt (7,630)
Seat 3: NPP Star (7,710)
Seat 4: phil (6,120)
Seat 5: wrig1 (18,175)
Seat 6: Villian (18,920)
Dye posts the small blind of 120
Dirtposts the big blind of 240
The button is in seat #6
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to NPP Star [5s 5d]
NPP raises to 720
phil folds
wrig1 folds
Villian calls 720
Dye folds
Dirt folds
*** FLOP *** [5h Jd 9h]
NPP bets 1,950
Villian has 15 seconds left to act, then raises to 8,000.
NPP calls 5,015, and is all in
Villain shows [Jh Jc]
NPP shows [5s 5d]
*** TURN *** [5h Jd 9h] [4d]
*** RIVER *** [5h Jd 9h 4d] [Ah]
Villain shows three of a kind, Jacks
NPP shows three of a kind, Fives – and is eliminated.

Faldo’s analysis:
A review shows that NPP is sitting ‘OK’ in chips. I know looking at the other stacks, that it appears you are way behind, but you are not. They just got early ‘nub’. You still have over 30 big blinds, so there is no need to get overly aggressive out of position.

Small pocket pairs are either a gift or a curse, but Faldo finds them to be a curse most of the time – out of position. Ok, I said it twice. You ARE out of position.

I may have raised – as NPP did, or called or min-raised or once in a while, moved all-in. I am not being coy here, but table dynamics, such as how I view the other players – AND most important – how they view me as a player, plays a role in my decision here.

All things being neutral, I probably min-raise or call here. The Villain probably juices it and I can safely fold without further damage to my stack. But my standard re-raise gave the Villain a chance to be coy and ram it on the flop as long as a lone [A], [K] or [Q] doesn’t hit the board.

As it played out, the delay by the Villain might have been a ‘tell’ - or maybe not. But after flopping trips, our NPP hero is committed to see the hand thru. The Villain might be pushing the straight or flush draw with over-cards, two pair or trip 4’s.

He had the trip Jacks, so all the nub went to the Villain on that hand.

The only error I see is that our NPP’er did not give enough consideration (respect) to the big stacks at the table. It is important to know that in that chip situation, when you decide to “dance”, it will probably be for your entire stack. Is pocket 5's worth it when still ok in chips?

I probably would have called or min-raised and would have folded to added pressure. If the Villain slow-plays and hits set over set – then I am out too.

Note that his slow play backfires if he is holding (QQ) instead of (JJ). He moves in and our NPP’er is a big favorite to double up!

PS: Derf-63 vs Suetman1 Heads Up Final is on Sunday at 7pm!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nothing you can do with set over set. With a 6 handed table, your range of playable and thus raisable hands must increase as its more unlikely that your up against a better hand. In middle postion with 55 after a couple of folds, I would definitely raise there. A 9 handed table unless Im on button or the cutoff, I generally dont raise preflop.

He bet out on his set presumably because of the draws, and well got unlucky, it happens.

But I would of played it the exact same way.

Punk

fourbetbluff said...

I'm with faldo, being out of position with a small PP is dangerous. I myself would probably call for set value..and fold to any heat, or pressure. However, you flopped your set, so run with it. Only way I can ever tell that i'm set over set is when all the money is in the middle of the table, and both hands are face up.
plus also with the big stack being on the button, he could be flatting a pretty big range there, and probably 90% of the time your good post flop...although if the villian is a good player, the flat call on the button would kinda set a red flag..most big stacks should be 3 betting in that spot IMO.

k9isadog said...

the raise in utg was the problem ....a little aggressive at 3x blinds unless that is what it cost to see a flop at this table...... 55 are a trap hands... on the flop you are usually behind unless your 5 hits or a open straight draw. If you have a good image great if known as loose watch out....everyone will call,,,, the call on button was a poor play with jj...he is basically hoping he doesn't see an ace k q... if he does see the flop with over cards he may call a less than pot size bet especially if any combination of k q 10 9 8hits on flop he still has drawing outs against over pair or lower set. A raise from his button position before flop will help define your hand....but after the flop be aware of this famous online tell....."a call or all in reraise from a slow roller"...just before time expires...they are faking in-decision or doing math to see if pot odds dictate what bet..... when his mother would snap call and his daddy would re-raise him... with 15 seconds to go then all in.....think about it....don't snap call Your bet 1750 was not in a vacuum, he is either known as a maniac, bully, or made a mistake with his all in bet...or he likes his hand against board...top pair or two pair is not worthy of calling LIFE my tournament life....I would have called....but the problem started with a raise with 55 utg...i would have checked my set to trap or get value from aj kj qj your bet of 1750 indicates you don't want a reraise...if you get one...fold ...A smooth call I would slow down and just get what is in pot

Brian said...

We can debate all day and night what the right play here was, but I don't think when it is all said and done that the hand plays out any differently whether UTG limps or raises here.

5-5 plays better HU than in a multiway pot - and certainly just taking down the blinds isn't an undesired result, either.

If our "villain" raises 3-4x UTG, what's your play? Instafold here, really? I guess if you're playing uber-tight you do...just not seeing most players do that.

After the flop, the hand just plays itself out - too bad for UTG he caught the worst of it.

Unknown said...

Well, I guess I don't understand the 1900+ bet on the flop. There is about 1700 in the pot on the flop. Why bet so much? If villain has a hand like A-J, K-J, or Q-J, maybe even J-10 (which would be hands he would just flat with on the button most times), you're giving him a chance to get away from the hand. I like the lead-out, but why not just bet 1000 to 1250 range? It's almost impossible that villain has Q-Q, K-K, or A-A. He got tricky flatting with J-J. Regardless, both of these hands are getting it in no matter what. You cannot fold a flopped set. The only time you can think (key word is think) about folding a flopped set to a raise is if the board is like 5h-6h-7h (suited and/or connected). In that case, if villain holds a flopped flush and/or straight, it's a cooler, period. Same thing with set over set -- cooler. Fourbetbluff says it right, that the only time you know it's set over set is when all the money gets in. Nothing you can do here except hope that next time you hold the over set.

-Pingsticks

Anonymous said...

we are all so smart we should collaborate on a poke rblog...when we gonna play at ppl again