Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Amarillo Slim’s Top Ten Keys to Poker Success

While he may not have been the mathematician Chris Ferguson is or the hand reader that Daniel Negreanu is, but no one has ever showed a keener understanding of the human animal as poker player than Thomas “Amarillo Slim” Preston.

World Champion, winner of millions, Slim made a living by running his mouth at the table, getting inside the heads of whomever he happened to be facing and exploiting whatever he happened to find in there.

These are his top ten keys to success, as originally published in his biography ‘Amarillo Slim in a World Full of Fat People’. Faldo rates himself on each point in [ ].

1) Play the players more than you play the cards.
[A Faldo weakness who’s entire world is the cards in his hand]

2) Choose the right opponents. If you don’t see a sucker at the table, you’re it.
[This is a Faldo strength. I always know when I am outclassed – which is all the time]

3) Never play with money you can’t afford to lose.
[Check! A+ here.]

4) Play tight and aggressive; don’t play too many hands, but when you do, be prepared to move in.
[I think an instructor would give me a ‘B’ here]

5) Always be observing at a poker game. The minute you’re there, you’re working.
[Fail miserably. Either I am having fun and horsing around or I have tunnel vision on my cards and stack].

6) Watch the other players for tells before you look at your own cards.
[I actually can give myself a “C” here. Do I use the information? Naw, that would be the smart thing to do]

7) Diversify your play so others can’t pick up tells on you. Choose your speed based on the direction of the game. Play slow in a fast game and fast in a slow game.
[Is moving from simply a rock to a granite boulder considered a speed change? No? Then, I get a D- on this one]

8) Don't play drunk, tired or angry - even if the game is good.
[Grade D. I think these are the only time I play! Tired at the start, drunk late and angry some of the time - but still happy most of the time]

9) Be able to quit a loser and for goodness sake, don’t quit when you’re winning. [I get a B because in non-home games, the urge to hit the door with a profit is strong. But if the game is good, I can usually fight it. Usually]

10) Conduct yourself honorably so you’re always invited back. [I pass this one because my poker playing buddies at least like taking my money more than they dislike my personality. At least so far]

Rate yourself to these ten items. It can’t hurt.

Or rate Faldo yourself and feel better about your game. Hat tip to Wise Hand Poker for the list.

PS: Don’t expect miracles in the reporting of tonight’s action. I may be late or absent at the start. This new job is interfering with my NPP duties big time. But I need it to take care of #3 and #10. - Faldo

2 comments:

Matchy said...

First of all Amarillo Slim was involved in some ugly controversy that tarnished him amongst his peers (i.e. Doyle Brunson), but I'll bite on these keys to success:

Play players not cards - D - I only try to get info from players I know and when I do venture out on one of my "reasoning" diatribes about a call vs. fold I am usually wrong.
Choose opponents - D - I have enough trouble just trying to find a damn game let alone choosing who it will be against.
Money I can't afford to lose - A - I will never risk grocery/mortgage stuff, not even close.
Tight and aggressive - A on tight and a C- on aggressive
Always observing players - D - I watch the flop like a hawk.
Diversify play - C- - I usually try to get away with at least one bluff based on my tight image, it's all I got.
Drunk/tired/angry - F - I start out drunk and end up tired...and drunker. I usually play until the bitter end unless a long drive is involved.
Quit a loser - C - Sure I can quit a loser, if I lose alot early or gradually until the game ends. If its a home game with friends I am playing it out regardless.
Honor - A - I think I conduct myself reasonably well, even when loaded!

Brian said...

Of course, all these are relative...comparing to the usual groups I would play with.

Play players not cards - B - In my bar game I have a great read on most of the players there, so I know who and what I can get away from with these players.

Choose opponents - C - Online, I don't give a crap, since I don't believe in cheat software like PokerTracker and all that. In live play, I use past experiences to determine where I sit at assigned table relative to where they are sitting.

Money I can't afford to lose - Ralphie' teacher from "A Christmas Story" would give me an A++++++++ on tis one - I will never risk grocery/mortgage stuff, no questions asked.

Tight and aggressive - B on tight and a C (but getting better) on aggressive - if you are an "A" at being tight, you're not playing enough hands. I prefer to say that I have an "A" in patience, however.

Always observing players - C on this one. If I am not in a hand, the mind tends to wander

Diversify play - B- - Changing gears isn't an option when it's warranted.

Drunk/tired/angry - A - I rarely drink when I play, and even at that it's only 1 beer (maybe a shot in there, as well).

Quit a loser - A - My money discipline (on those rare times I play cash games) is legendary with my family and friends who know this part of me.

Honor - A- - Once in a while a Hellmuthian insult not said in jest comes flying out, but I have no problem shaking hands with players I bust out (or who bust me out), and I don't celebrate like I hit the fukkin' lottery when I suckout on someone, either.