Sunday, March 14, 2010

Faldo Finishes 2nd in PokerStars Tourney

A 90 player SNG, but a nice tourney just the same. My (TT) lost to (AJ) with an [A] on the river.

I just want to repeat that volume is the key. If I don’t play in quite a few tourneys at once, I don’t make money. I also had a 4th, 7th and 25th thrown in there. Three final tables!

I was in eight tournaments at the same time divided between three different sights at a good range of entry amounts. I made it to the 1st break in all eight. But by the time the second break rolled around, I was alive in only five.

By this time the bigger entry tourneys I entered were the ones I was out of – except for one. But that was #4 to snuff me out. But I cashed in all of the other four ‘little entry’ to still make the tourney day profitable!

I also wanted to give you a snapshot of how my SNG system is working. It can get a little scary but it is still getting it done. Well, helping Faldo to get it done. For those of you who study gambling, it is nothing more than a revised Martingale system. But I think this is a great way to grind along for entertainment poker.

1. Entry 1 unit – OUT = -1
2. Entry 1 unit – OUT = -2
3. Entry 1 unit – 3rd +2 units = -1
4. Entry 1 unit – OUT = -2
5. Entry 1 unit – OUT = -3
6. Entry 1 unit – OUT = -4
7. Entry 2 units – OUT = -6
8. Entry 2 units – 3rd +4 units = -4
9. Entry 2 units – OUT = -6
10. Entry 2 units – OUT = -8
11. Entry 5 units – OUT = -13
12. Entry 5 units – OUT = -18
13. Entry 5 units – OUT = -23
14. Entry 5 units – OUT = -28
15. Entry 11 units – 2nd +27 = -12
16. Entry 5 units – 3rd +7 = -10
17. Entry 5 units – OUT = -15
18. Entry 5 units – OUT = -20
19. Entry 5 units – 2nd +11 = -14
20. Entry 5 units – OUT = -19
21. Entry 5 units – OUT = -24
22. Entry 11 units – OUT = -35
23. Entry 11 units – OUT = -46
24. Entry 11 units – 3rd +18 = -37
25. Entry 11 units – 2nd +27 = -20
26. Entry 5 units – OUT = -25
27. Entry 11 units – 2nd +27 = -9
28. Entry 5 units – 1st +18 = +4

Now I head back to 1 unit!

It’s a grind I know. Twenty eight SNG’s played - risking 140 units - to win 4 units. But I don’t think this rate of profit is too different than ring play. And this was an unusually long bad streak – which is why I wrote it up.

I am not trying to get rich fast or dream of a seat in the WSOP on ESPN. Just trying to give you the formula I have learned thru my own bad beats.

Here in this stretch I will admit I played badly early thru round 7. Then the cards killed me with a lot of ‘bad beat 4ths’ rounds 9 thru 14. Then my cash ratio returned to normal as I was obviously more focused at the higher limits, and the cards didn’t poop on me luckily.

It’s funny how my results at the 11 unit level (three 2nd’s and a 3rd in 6 rounds) was great and my results at the 5 unit level was awful (one 1st one 2nd one 3rd in 12 rounds). Could it be a result of my own concentration level or just pure card luck?

3 comments:

Matchy said...

We had a spirited 50cent/buck dealers choice game in the Chesky basement last night. It was spirited because lots of spirits were consumed. Me, Greg G, Dave E, Boother, Matt B, Buff, Jason R and Tim M played, some of us unitl quarter after three. When all was said and done the 4 of us on the west side all made money, it was not a good night to be on the east. We did play a few "cheesy" game that Faldo would not dig, such as screw your neighbor and the dreaded acey-deucey. It was lots of fun and I hit the Motrin this morning. Will be playing again soon!
Your discipline in your internet poker is impressive Faldo. Your worklike attitude would take the fun out of it for me, but we all roll different. I still wish I enjoyed online play more.

fourputt said...

Good job Faldo!

Anonymous said...

Stop playing with your units...
TWSS

Punk