Saturday, March 27, 2010

Douge2 Enjoying a Fall Hunt

Oh deer!

Orion was setting as I was walking across a hay field into my deer blind this morning. I was admiring my favorite constellation when a shooting star came streaking vertically about 5 degrees north from the stars. This has been a good omen in past years as I have harvested deer on days that I have seen shooting stars.

Day 3 of the deer gun season 2009. The wind today was honking 15-25 out of the north east. It was very cool, cold that is. I sat until 9:30 and saw nothing, zero, zip, nada. Just birds, lots of them. Bluebirds, crows, starlings, geese and a very pretty red tail hawk.

Decoy at daybreak. I got to my pop up blind and set my decoy , facing into the wind out in the hay field about 45 yards away.

All of a sudden, the decoy was dropped like a stone. Not shot. I said it was windy.

I went home got my walking boots and walked /snuck around the farm.

I did not see anything so I went back to my morning spot around 2:30 and staked down the decoy so it would not tip over. I started to see deer at 3 p.m. two fields away, I saw between 15 and 20 along with 5 turkeys.

I was patient, at 5:20, three deer started my way, they came across the open field and finally crossed the property line that I have permission to hunt and saw the decoy, they watched it and they didn’t quit know what to think or make of it.

They hesitated for a little bit and finally came close enough for a good shot, but something spooked them and they bolted for 40 quick yards but they came back just as shooting hours were ending.

I ended up tagging a doe with a quick clean humane shot just as shooting hours were ending at 5:40 p.m. I gathered my decoy and gear and went back to the truck and my Friend Jack was nice enough to help me tag and load it in the truck.

It was 50 degrees this evening on the way home so I skinned and quartered the meat and it is cooling in my coolers as I write this. I will be sleeping well tonight.

As ever,
Douge2

Great story Doug! Man and nature. Nice! Faldo just tracks, drinks and enjoys the stories.

1 comment:

fourputt said...

Congratulations Douge!