Sunday, June 13, 2010

On the Road Again…Part III

My mind is racing as to what to do. The plane accommodations should not be a problem to change by phone on the way to the meeting – IF I make this first flight in the first place.

Even with the flight change, I could be an extra day – or two – in Indianapolis, with no luggage. I have been underwear, socks and shirt shopping at Wal-Mart or Meijer at 2 am before and don’t like it. Besides, I am sure the shirt (and underwear) selection in Indianapolis is “do you want a Dale Earnhardt or Payton Manning?”

That shuttle driver knew what she was talking about as I get thru security the fastest I ever have. I mean I walked right thru the queue and onto the carry on X-ray directly. Lucky too, the guy with the blue glove took the Swedish teenager to “date” instead of me, and I was on my way.

With the sound of Philadelphia Flyer’s fan Mr. Blue Glove’s voice ringing in my ears saying, “Take that Tomas Holmstrom!,” I got lucky again as my gate was only three from security.

Rushing up to the counter fifteen minutes to take off, I explain my problem to the lady there – who doesn’t interrupt – but looks way too bored. My poker skills kick in and I get the feeling she will be of no help. I go thru my two minute skit about my itinerary being a mess from GM American Express Travel and my bags on their way to Detroit while I will be in Indianapolis. Sure enough, as soon as I finish, she says, “I can’t do anything. You have to go to Customer Service. It’s near Gate One.” I am standing at Gate 15.

Rushing down there in 5 minutes – which means I need 5 minutes to get back – and my plane leaves in 12 minutes, I find the counter EMPTY!

I go to Gate One and ask that lady to help me since she has no plane or passengers at her gate anyway. She takes care of my luggage situation (at least it appears she did) but states that she cannot change my ticket. After all, she is US Airways and my return flight is on Delta. She was a gem. She gives me the toll free number to Delta Tickets and I am on my way back to my gate five minutes away.

The plane will leave in three minutes. By the way, if the lady at Gate One could fix my bag tagging situation with a phone and a walkie-talkie, why couldn’t the lady at Gate 15??? I am cussing the woman at my gate silently to myself. I have no breath to say it out loud, running my second two hundred yard race in five minutes.

Carrying two full computer bags, I do my best airport O.J. Simpson (I don’t condone what he did….but I understand how it could happen) airport sprint [see the old Hertz airport commercial]. The plane is boarding but the line is long. I dial the Delta number and get my flight changed – to the correct day and time - before I get in the plane. I did lose my Priority Seat however and now am in the back of a very full plane. At this point, I don’t care. Ah, but I will.

And I can’t wait for the beverage service. Remember, I still had not had a coffee OR brushed my teeth yet that morning! Final installment next.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OJ as Mike N


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf46hDT5SQQ

your mom said...

don't write for a living or playpoker

Anonymous said...

Brighton is like 3 hours from Indianapolis. Why fly?

Herbavor

Nik Faldo said...

Whomever Mom is; I DON'T play poker or write for a living. I fully acknowledge I stink at both.

And Herb, Indianapolis is 5 hours from Brighton, and besides I was coming from Philadelphia, which was 10 hours away.

Anonymous said...

Brother, Whatver they are paying you is not enough. I realize that some stress is good for a person. But, c'mon. If you combine that kind of stress with no sleep. it ain't gonna be good for anyone.