Thursday, December 03, 2009

You Can’t Be Nice All the Time in Poker

{Re-write by Faldo - Story is now correct. It was an obvious collusion situation, and not a collusion and dealer error situation that I originally wrote. The Premier Poker Lounge dealer was innocent. Faldo's error on that.}

Yes, take bad beats gracefully. The money will return with interest eventually.
NEVER berate a bad play by a player that costs you a pot. You want to chase Faldo away and have Boother36 or LittleRedElf fill the seat? Yeah – real smart.
The dealer screws up the deal and starts over ….and you had AA. Shut up and throw them in without any whining. No need to embarrass the dealer. It happens.

However, there are times when you have to stand firm and stick up for yourself and what is right. Here is a debacle at Premier Poker Lounge that needs to be reviewed. I will let Boother36 tell it.

“This is a situation that happened to me on Saturday night – the big Saturday weekend at PPL - that I wanted to share with the NPP crew so it doesn’t happen to you!!

Here are the facts; a $110 buy-in tourney, 28 players to start, we are down to the bubble with 4, they pay thru 3rd ($1250, $775, $520), antes/blinds = $400/$2K/$4K, average chip stack is $87,500, all 4 players are between $60K and $95K in chips.

The 2 big stacks clash on a hand and leave the loser with only $1K. I am sitting good with around $75K, so it appears that I am a lock to cash.

The next hand, the short stack who I will call Yappy (he is a dealer in another local charity card room, a twenty-something self proclaimed poker expert-just ask him, and he NEVER shut his trap once during the entire tourney!!) is UTG and calls for his remaining chip.

The button folds. The SB (who happens to be Yappy’s buddy!!) [Ed. Note: Red Flag!] goes all in for around $60K. I’m in the BB and can’t believe this move. I would have expected him to simply flat call so we could check-it down and have 2 shots at taking out bubble-boy. I fold in disgust, to see the SB w/ As7s and Yappy with 85 off suit. [Ed. Note: Ok, not smart, but not the worst play I have seen in this situation.]

Now for the nutty part. The flop comes 8-5-3. Yappy's buddy picks up his cards (As 7s), turns them over, says “I fold” and throws them into the muck. No one at the table, including the dealer, can believe this move. Then the dealer deals the turn (A) and the river (A) and shoves the pot to Yappy, as he has to.

Everyone, except for Yappy and his buddy, can’t believe what happened. [Ed. Note: I would like a little more info on who "Everyone" was. How many people saw this - and why didn't they call the Floor Supervisor? This is obvious collusion between Yappy and YB.]

The Floor Supervisor is no where to be seen (which is odd for the PPL). And after some small talk along the lines of WTF….play continues.

Here is where I made my mistake. I decide to let it go. I don’t want to delay the game, make waves or be a “bad guy” to wreck my karma. I decide since Yappy only has a few thousand in chips, he will be out in the next hand and all will be back to normal.

Wrong!! He proceeds to double up and take down the next few pots. Soon we find ourselves at break and Yappy has around $30K!! (Never doubt the old saying “a chip and a chair”!!)

When break is over, the table starts chatting about chopping ($1K cash for the chip leader and $500 of the other 3 of us). I say “I’m not comfortable with Yappy getting any cash, since he should be gone”, so we don’t chop and play continues.

The first hand after break, I have A9 and move all in. Yappy calls with A7 and the others fold. Now I am feeling comfortable that all is well in the world – I will bust Yappy and things will be back to normal. Well, as you guessed it, a 7 comes on the river and now Yappy has more chips than I do!! Talk about WTF!!!

I decide to suck up my pride and agree to chop. I walk out the door with $500, basically 3rd place money.

After spending time lying awake in bed early on Sunday morning thinking about what went wrong….next time, I will ask to stop play when the “collusion” situation happened, regardless of who it pissed off or how much time it would have taken to get things straightened out.

But I guess I’m too much of a nice guy to do that. So the moral of the story is don’t be a nice guy and let something that is not right, slide by…it could come back to hurt you!!!”

Boother, glad you are a nice guy. You are too big (size and heart) to be otherwise!

What is wrong with the guy on the Button? I would have reported the collusion to the Floor Supervisor myself! The missing Floor Supervisor is another concern. That just should not happen. It's the final table and pay time!

I like everyone at PPL, and it is still my local poker room of choice, but I hope we can get the House and the Dealer side of this collusion story. I will ask.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike - Ii had 1 typo in my write up. It was Yappy's buddy that picked up his A7 and said fold, giving the pot to Yappy.

Sorry for missing that critical point in my review...

Boother

Anonymous said...

That sucks JB. I on the other hand would not have let it go. I guess I am just an ass but that would have me raising all hell. And if the house (if and when they show up) allowed this to be o.k. I would never allow a split of any cash even if it was to cost me 500.

I would make everyone at that table extremely uncomfortable. Including the dealer that allowed this. I would also ask that the dealer be removed. I would also let the house know that this is chicken shit poker. That pisses me off just reading about it.....They better have a good response or I will never visit that place again and I will make sure that everyone I talk to knows about this. I know enough people in the poker world to put a hurt on them. Word spreads fast.....They can start filling their unemployment papers out..Man that pisses me off!

Beerhog......

Nik Faldo said...

BH - be sure to read my correction. There was no 'dealer error' on the hand.

The Dealer had no choice on the hand, but could have stopped play to summon the tourney director about the collusion issue.

My opinion, I would have ejected the As7S or Yappy from the tournament - or both - if their stories didn't make sense. Let them split 3rd out in the parking lot.

Anonymous said...

you're to nice Boother, at least you got some money though and didn't get totally screwed for not halting play...........now we all know better to halt play when some BS happens.....


I am with Fred on boycotting that place if you cannot get to the bottom of this Mike......


AQUALUNG

Anonymous said...

hey Mike



can that guy really grab his cards halfway through after he already made the all in call..... I don't believe he should be able to, to me the dealer screwed up for allowing him to do that...what say you.....


aqua

Anonymous said...

The dealer should have placed the cards face up before the flop. At that point the cards speak for themselves. There should be NO WAY to muck your cards. There is NO possible "action" to be taken by either player. It is called an "all in" and therefore should be an "all in hand". The dealer should have taken care of this and the hand should have been played out.

WEAK WEAK WEAK DEALER.......

They already have a shitty blind structure in my opinion. Now a shity dealer during their biggest tourney at the final table w/ no floor help? WTF?

BigBri said...

I agree with Beerhog,
I would have stopped play, and made sure everybody knew what was going on. Can't belive they let that shit go. Boother, you must be the nicest person I've never met. I would've made the biggest ass out of myself, and that wouldn't have took to long, just ask Faldo.