Saturday, November 29, 2008

Faldo Finishes 7th in a Poker World Freeroll

Poker World is a site I found that runs a few freerolls you can enter without having to deposit money first. They run them at 1 PM, 4 PM, 6 PM and 11 PM - which is not graveyard times at all!

I outlasted 225 of them, but got run down twice to lose a chance for victory.

The first time with about 40 players left, I was sitting in the middle of the pack in chips when a guy with only two-thirds of my chips goes all-in and it is folded to me on the button with AK. I honestly did not put him on a pair. I just knew he didn't have a pocket, let alone AA or KK.

So I call and he has AT. Of course the flop has two tens in it!

This cripples me, but I fight on and make the final table in 9th of 10.

I gather a few chips and even knock someone out. I move up to 5th in chips with eight players left.

I get (Kc Qc) on the button and see a small raise from the middle position player with the lowest chip count. I'm suspicious of that raise and only call as does the big blind - who has more chips than both of us.

The flop is [Kh Tc 3c]. The bettor checks and I decide if you have AK, good for you and I go all-in. I get called by both players! One with (KQ) and (AQ). Of course the [J] falls on the river to eliminate two of us.

Anyway, the lobby is good and the software is just ok. It plays well, but you cannot make the table full screen. This hurts if you are on more than one computer at a time as I often am.

But check out the site if you want to play on a small site or you are looking for Freeroll practice.

11 comments:

Nik Faldo said...

Poker World even sends you the final standings in an email - regardless of where you finished.

Anonymous said...

Fat Russ on CBS 60 minutes!!!

Herbavor

Anonymous said...

How long before someone puts a bullet into his head?

bh

Nik Faldo said...

Hog, I doubt there are many assassins that:
A) played high stakes on AP and UB
B) live in the TPC of Las Vegas gated community
C) give a rip that computer nerds turned poker pros lost a few hundred grand of money they won gambling anyway

The White Whale story (search White Whale on this blog) explained where Russ came from. You can take the boy out of Detroit, but you cannot take the Detroit out of the boy.

If Fat Russ's name was Kwami Obama Hussein Hamilton, 60 Minutes never touches the story.

Matchy said...

The funny thing about these "computer nerds" is it does not seem like most of their anger is focused at Russ Hamilton and his crew. If you believe what you read in the online sites, they are pissed at 60 Minutes for taking away credibility from the online sites like Ultimatebet.com. It seems they are afraid that less new fish will sign up because they are afraid of being cheated, and that this gives the US government more fuel to shut down the sites altogether.

I am no fan of Russ if he did indeed do what he is accused of. To me there is a big difference between gambling and cheating. I wonder if there are in "BOTS" in our Tues. nite tourneys, some of those guys never chat....LOL

Anonymous said...

Thats what i am saying matchy. Guess how many millios are being lost because of the cheating. They need a fall guy to take the "bullet" to give themselves some cred again.

Fat Russ is the pig they are looking at........



bh

Anonymous said...

Plus,

Computer geeks are angry people. If they can drop $100k on online poker I am sure they can hire a hitman for 10 g's........

I Bet i could find a hitman in one day in Vegas and i dont live there.........

bh

Nik Faldo said...

I think the internet poker industry needs to put safeguards in their software that tip off the site when certain players are winning way past where statistically even the best players could not reach.

They would have to ignore the bells and sirens when Davethedog plays of course.

I wish there were bells and whistles that went off in the software that told them they had bad beat Faldo 9000 times in a row. But, NOOOOOOOoooooooooooo!

Matchy said...

I agree with you Mike, the safeguards need to be there. But, when the people who own/operate the site are the "superusers" who have transparent hole cards, then all bets are off (pun intended). It seems Absolute Poker truly had the fox watching the henhouse.

Matchy said...

Link for exclusive post 60 minutes Russ Hamilton interview (I have not watched it yet).

http://www.pokerstrategyforums.com/online-poker-news/russ-hamilton-exclusive-psf-interview-1390.php#post6277

Nik Faldo said...

I have left this site - even for freerolls. It is no fun when 7 of the 10 people at a table in a 400 person tourney are sitting out. What is up with that?