Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Last Vegas Tourney – Same as the Others – Unfortunately

Well, at least I’m consistent. I can honestly state here for the record – that in the nine tournaments I entered, I hit maybe four flops. I had AA exactly once - in the big blind - and it was folded around to me. It’s been brutal.

JW and I are over at Caesar’s Palace for my last tourney of the trip. Boother is absolutely right! What a beautiful poker room!

Last day/night in Vegas and Bronco76 has his lady with him, so the pools and the clubs were calling.

JW gets knocked out of this 50 player tourney early with a six-outer. He turned the Ace-high straight on the turn with (QJ) – went all-in – and lost to the caller who hit his Ten on the river for a Full House of TTTKK. Ouch.

I make it to the final two tables, but I had to suck out to do it. I have 2400 in chips and the blinds are 200-400 with a 50 ante, with 22 players left. I raise to 2000 with (Ad 3d) – hoping for action.

A player with a big stack and (Ks 9s) moves all-in on me after a flop of [Js 6d 9h]. Just what I wanted, but as usual, the flop is a whiff. I am pot committed now - so I call and spike the Ace on the river. I get the rightly deserved and insincere “Nice catch” comment.

I finish 16th when I move all-in again from the SB (Ad 9d) and the BB calls me with (JT). I don’t count this hit as one of the four flops for the trip [2s 3d 9h]. Not exactly a powerhouse. And of course a [Ts] comes on the turn with no help on the river.

I shake the man's hand and head to the bar just outside the Rio's famous Seafood Buffet and POUND beer until our group shows up for dinner. They were an hour late so I was a little trashed when they got there. But a good trashed - not a sloppy trashed - even though I had two beers getting to the Rio and 5 while waiting! I don't think I was a sloppy drunk, but my wife seemed not to happy with me when she got there.

Better luck next time in tourneys, I guess. First time going home a poker loser in Las Vegas. Of course I usually played hours of ring and either no tourneys or one. But still, I should have done something different or better.

And once again congratulations to JW! What a rush to watch my nephew win one.

No comments: