Monday, May 12, 2008

'JW' Wins at the Paris!

Forty-nine players (45 and 4 alternates) signed up for this turbo SNG for the standard $65 buy-in. Tournament over in just over two hours! Faldo, Bronco76 and JW (Aqualung's and my nephew) were part of it. I told them about the payout at the Paris being friendly and they wanted to try it. Good judgement!

I didn’t see how Bronco got knocked out, but his report was that he was basically card dead and lost his coin flip all-in with 3 tables left.

JW was at my table. We hooked in a hand where I re-raised his standard raise, to let him know I had a great hand (KK). He called with (AQ) and spiked an [A] on the flop. JW bet a lot, and I had to lay them down.

But as the action continued, JW was – at one point – with less chips (1200) than I had (2500) {blinds 200 – 400}. He went all-in with (KQ) and got a caller with (AJ). The flop was a super friendly [AJT], and no boat arrived. That was the kick-off to a great run!

I finished 15th as my all-in with (AJ) lost to a (KQ) who hit the [K] on the river.

I did not see the action until it went to a final table of nine players. JW stood 7th in chips when he arrived there.

With seven players left and now being low chip man, JW calls an all-in with (66) and is thrilled when his opponent turns over (55). A nice double up! The 55 guy is gone shortly.

The chip leader takes out the bubble man when his (Q8) beats the short stack, who held (A8) when a [Q] hits the turn. Five left and all get paid.

JW picks up some chips uncontested with raises. Finally the chip leader calls with (44) and JW has (AA). With three left, JW has the lead!

JW’s (AK) beat (AQ) to take out the 3rd place chip count guy, setting up the heads up competition. JW has the much bigger stack.

It doesn't take very long to end as JW's (AT) is all over the short-stack with (8d 4d). But an all-black flop with an [A T 6d) in it and JW wins his first Las Vegas tournament!

1st - $966 – nice payday JW!!!
2nd - $604
3rd - $362
4th - $266
5th - $217

JW was VERY kind by returning Bronco’s and my entry fee back to us, and then he told Bronco, “The drinks are on me!” – and away they went into the Las Vegas night! I was considering tagging along but my wife wanted me to see the flower garden in the Bellagio and the light show outside the Bellagio with her.

Going partying in Vegas with two young guys with found money - or looking at flower arrangements with my wife? Decisions, decisions.

I never saw so many chrysanthemums, and the light shows I noticed are fifteen minutes apart.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good thing you didnt go faldo. jw only had enough money for 2 hookers. you would have had to share one w/ your kid. that could be a little strange.


beerhog

Nik Faldo said...

Correct Beerhog!

Plus the Lovely was heading to the Grand Canyon the next day without me.

Ditching her the evening before ditching her is really bad form.
Even for me.