Saturday, September 30, 2006

Nik Makes Final Table on Platinum Poker

Well, it took a while but I made a final table in a big tourney (310 players). My play has been terrible lately, as proven by the butt kicking I received at the last NPP game.

Trying to rebuild my game since I can't play golf due to poor weather and a work travel schedule that is a killer.

Platinum Poker is a skin of Doyles Poker Room. But in fact the Platinum software was sold to Doyle's Poker Room and DPR became the main site. There are quite a few other skins out there for DPR, like Pamala's (Anderson) Poker, Bet US, Blue Lizard Poker, Flamingo Poker, Lets Poker, Poker Aces and Vertical Poker. I stay with Platinum because they have some tourneys and the software is fast.

The key hand came when I was - as usual - low in chips and caught TT. Going all in, I was called by two major stacks with AK and A9s, then another small stack also called with K9s. When my hand held up, I was now in the middle in chips.

This is the kind of luck, no one really talks about - getting good cards when opponents do and holding on. You need this luck to cash in tournaments.

I took the tourney lead when I won my two blind hands in a row with the 54s of clubs!

I tried to take out some smaller stacks with JJ, A3s and KQs and lost all three hands! This hurt my stack and was especially costly when I had to virtualy fold thru two blind increases.

When the final table got there I was 7th of nine.

Got to limp in with KQs of spades and the flop was AQT, and one of my suit. I called a minimum bet and the turn was a 2 of spades. The 'hook' card, and I am on the hook. I called another minimum bet (the guy must have an Ace and will not fold, but can't bet either as I could be slow-playing the nuts).

The turn is an 8. No help. He bets the minimum again and I have to call it. He shows his A3s. That hurt my chip stack.

I finish 8th when my AT doesn't catch a pair of sixes. Won seven times the entry.