Saturday, February 20, 2010

Faldo Wins a PokerStars 90 player SNG

Well, you can officially call it – on a roll. Since it was Friday night and the time was Beer-thirty, it was time for some poker. Since I was exhausted from work and knew I would not make it into the wee hours of the morning, I had to dodge the MTT’s and head for the large field SNG’s.

Again, figuring fatigue might play a roll, I opted for the good size SNG (90 player). And I entered four of them as fast as PokerStars could fill them – which was fast.

As I wrote earlier, there is absolutely no better way to take out the variance in tourney poker than with volume. I figure that with these four tourneys, cashing in one would be possible – and that would be fine on the bankroll.

I went out of the first one in 20th position, when my (AK) refused to believe on a flop of [AQQ] that the small blind had a (Q).

The next one, I went out in 8th (bubble boy). I had to push with (KQ) and didn’t hit anything.

The next one was a 6th place finish. This may have been the only bad beat I suffered all evening. My trip 7’s got run down by a runner – runner straight. The big stack called my big bet on the flop and my all-in on the turn – then hit the four outer to take me out.

But at least I was guaranteed profit for the evening, as this cash put me on the green side of the ledger. On top of that, I was sitting in 2nd of seven left in the last one.

Down 85000 to 50000 heads up, I managed to get the victory as my (A9) held on against (A3).

Less than 100 player tourneys don’t make my Internet Tourney win list, but it was still gratifying. Of course I am still smiling from the Tuesday night win.

FYI – It took a little over four hours for this 90 person tourney. A 45-player tourney takes three hours. That is why NPP has a 64 player limit. Usually two-thirds the players make it on any given night, which would put us at around a 30 to 40 player field. So to get to the final table on Tuesdays, plan on three hours – but a fun three hours.

No comments: