Friday, October 09, 2009

Faldo Wins Cake Poker NL Holdem Tournament

Ok, got to set this up. I get up at 3am to release the beer I had watching football and baseball on the TV a few hours ago. Returning to the sack, I just toss and turn. So, I put on some coffee and decide a little poker action is in order.

I find tourneys on PokerStars, Cake Poker and Full Tilt and settle in – one on each screen. Before I take two sips, I am out of both the Cake and FT tourneys and crippled in the PS one. Yes, I was ahead in all three hands! Well, now there is no way I can sleep now!

Punch a heavy bag for an hour, yes! Sleep? Not so much.

So I get into three more on the same three sites. By the way, my desperation all-in fails in the first PS tourney also.

The second set of tourneys goes much better! I finish 32nd in the PokerStars tourney out of 431 players – tripling my buy-in.

I make the final table in the other two tourneys! I finish 4th in the Full Tilt tourney out of 230 players. A deal was suggested but one player said no. Shortly after he turned down the deal, I get (AQ) in the big blind and call the standard raise as only the SB folds. The flop is [AJJ] and we all know what someone has (JT), as I go from 2nd in chips to badly short stacked by this cold deck hand.

I felt it – I really did - but how do you fold that? I couldn’t do it. Anyway, still made 24 times my buy-in there.

Now to concentrate on the other final table where I am in 6th of 8 left. I get the chip lead with four left. A nice run of cards and some luck as many short stacks had to try with not so much and I had them or hit my over card.

Well the luck ran out and the same dealer must have came over from Full Tilt as I get (T7) in the SB and we all check in to see a flop of [77T]. Bingo – I thought! I call the all-in by the guy 3rd in chips with (AT). Yes, a [T] on the turn and an [A] on the river! Thought it was going to be another 4th place for me.

But some all-ins held up and then they let me steal unchallenged until my stack was back to dangerous.

Then my (TT) won to get the lead back. Then my (AK) took out (QsJs), and finally – heads up – my (A9) flopped trip 9’s against the villain’s (88) and I win my 12th internet tournament and 2nd of 2009.

I bested 107 other players and made 32 times my buy in.

2 comments:

fourputt said...

3 AM?

Maybe you dreamed the whole thing.

Nik Faldo said...

I could have been just dreaming 4Putt. After all, some of my hands actually held up! Yep, had to be a dream. That never happens to me in real life.