Friday, October 30, 2009

Faldo Finishes 7th in WPE Tourney

It was filled with 106 other players and Faldo managed to make a final table at the World Poker Exchange site. I won a bunch of coin flip hands to get there.

Then, when I had the advantage at the final table,(As Js) (69%) versus (Ah 4c), a [4] on the flop and a [4] on the turn – did me in.

In the next two tourneys I entered (on Cake Poker), I chased when I should not have – once drawing nearly dead. It was a turbo tourney and that did influence my decision. It never used to, but I am tired of minimum cashing and bubbling.

Here is the second one, in a normal tourney:

I had (Jc Tc) on the button and had called a min raise by the UTG and two calls by middle players.

The flop came down [Qc Ts 9c]. The UTG bet one-third of the pot and the other two players folded. Decision time as a call then fold on the turn would leave me with only 10 BB’s. It’s not death, but it is not good either. The Villain had me covered easily also.

Even if the Villain held (KJ) (56%) or trips, (54%) I had outs making it close to a coin flip. If I was going to call here, the correct move was to move all in – and maybe he folds.

I called (I think you spell ‘donkey’ – F-A-L-D-O).

The turn was the [2s]. And he bets all but a ½ BB of my stack. THAT usually is a tell he wants a call. There is no lock possible yet, so this bet is puzzling. But I have to guess he has something.

Here are the hands I put him on and the new percentages – (KJ) (75%) or trips (68%), so I am a 3 to 1 or 2 to 1 dog now. It is a close decision now due to my short-stack status, but I elected to call all-in and see I am up against even a weaker hand than I thought (QT) (66%),

I missed on the river and was gone, but all the more reason my all-in was needed on the flop. Lesson learned.

PS: If I had moved in on the flop, with the hand I actually was up against – I was a 51% to 47% favorite! So, moving in then was definitely the right play – and my call on the turn was not terrible, was it? Your thoughts people?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I put him on KQ or AQ. He had neither but with that said I fold after the turn. You had position on him and he is betting into you. I agree w/ your assessment of him wanting you to call. Without knowing his hand for sure I would have put him as a 4to1 favorite after the turn. Good time for a fold. Then again I have not seen how he has been playing up to this point. That could have changed how I would have played the hand. Maybe you should get some lessons from Dave?

Anonymous said...

BH

Matchy said...

If I have a straight flush draw after the flop in that spot I am pushing it all in. You get the fold equity out of your opponent and I am pretty sure you are a favorite (which you proved). Playing in as many tournaments as I have with you Mike it is about what I woud expect...me or Beerhog or Boother push it in, you call. That is probably why you are still there near the end more often. I am not saying I am as good a player as anyone I just mentioned, just making observations. Anywhoo, it's fun to talk about. If at all possible I TRY to get my money in as a favorite, and if at all possible get my money in first for the fold equity (unless I am a huge favorite).

Nik Faldo said...

Matchy, I think I will cash more often than Boother, Beerhog or you - but you three will out-earn me because you make more final tables than I do.
It's a style thing. I am trying to play more like you three.