Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Faldo Retires From (working at) Golf

Does this mean I will never play again? No, of course not. But this is the last year I work at trying to play – or play better.

Herbavor nailed it with his comment. I got jobs at golf courses so I could play for free in order to practice, practice, practice!

I got out there on the course in the cold weather, the bad weather, on the Friday nights, and on the big Football Saturdays and Sundays when I knew the course would be empty. I dropped golf balls in ridiculous lie and places just to see how to hit them out. I read Golf Digest to learn how to hit shots. I took putting lessons.

I learned to build golf clubs. No, not to fix the ones I broke in anger (although [confession time] that was needed on occasion). But to learn about swing speeds, angles and loft, club weighting and grip adjustment (twss).

The reason I did all of this was to be able to play golf with my friends and family and not embarrass myself in the process. I was absolutely terrible when I started playing and just could not stand the thought of playing anything THAT badly. And I did not like holding up play by having to look for my ball or duffing it all the way down the course.

Well, I have leveled out in ability (twss), the number of foursomes on a Saturday or Sunday I can assemble to play in, has flattened out, and the number of golf course jobs has dried out.

There is no longer a reason to have discount golf available for friends and family, and no longer a reason for me to practice my butt off.

I’m still going to play golf when the opportunity arises, but I am retiring from working at my game, working at making time to play, or working to get free golf.

As it says on this blog’s profile, life changes things. Time for another change.

5 comments:

Phil Mickelson said...

I can't tell you how relieved I am by your decision!

I should sleep well tonight.

Nik Faldo said...

Anything I can do to help out Phil.

Anonymous said...

What? Whats next? Quitting cigars? Quitting beer? Quitting quilting?

Beerhog

Nik Faldo said...

Quiet Beerhog and just take your mulligan with the hooker.

BigBriMar said...

I'll take that mulligan if Beerhogs' not "UP" to it...twss