Saturday, August 01, 2009

Faldo Drops Some Names…and Some Cash

If you have read the ‘White Whale’ series on this blog, you would know Faldo really ‘learned’ poker from his ex-softball coach ‘Frank’.

Frank held a poker game at his house every Wednesday night. This game included future WSOP Main Event winner “Fat” Russ Hamilton. Yes, the guy of the now infamous internet poker betting scandal over at Absolute Poker.

The game also included some plumbing contractors, Detroit landlords, some Detroit TV/radio sportscasters, and a couple ex-Detroit Lion football players.

One of the more popular games dealt was Little Squeeze. It is 5-card stud Hi-Lo game, with an exchange a card option. Frank dealt it with 3 exchange options that you had to pay for and there was another betting round after each one. A re-shuffle of discards was allowed if the deck ran out.

By this time, I was no longer on Frank’s “shill” program, which is how I started in this game. I was on my own as I had learned enough and was winning enough to hold my own.

Usually the pots were massive, which is why these gamblers played this game. As a poor college student, I literally had the equivalent of two month’s pay in front of me as a buy in to this game. Gulp! The stakes were $5-$10, a fairly big game in the 1970’s that went to $10-$20 for the last round of the night. Cash played as chips were not used.

This hand was in the last round and the second to last hand of the night (around 6 am after starting at 7pm).

Russ was dealing with seven players in the hand. After the shuffle and MANDATORY cut, the deck was always placed flat on the table to prevent bottom dealing.

Frank was dealt a 5 with his down card, Don a J, me a Q to pair my Q down, Earl a 9, Tommy Watkins a 6, Dave a T, and Russ gave himself a 9.

Frank bet his low (now $20 with a pair showing), Don called. I raised with my hi card. Earl folded, Tommy calls, Russ calls as does Frank, and Don.

Frank hits a 2, Don a J, me a K, Tommy an 8, Dave a 5 and Russ a 3.

Frank bets, Don raises his pair of Jacks, I re-raise, Tommy calls, Dave folds, Russ-Frank-Don call.

Frank [X] 5, 2, 7
Don [X] J, J, 8
Faldo [Q] Q, K, K
Tommy [X] 6, 8, A
Russ [X] 9,3,T

Frank bets, Don reluctantly calls, I re-raise, Tommy calls, Fat Russ calls, Frank re-raises, Don calls, I cap it and everyone calls.

Frank [X] 5, 2, 7, A
Don [X] J, J, 8, 6
Faldo [Q] Q, K, K, Q
Tommy [X] 4, 8, A, J
Russ [X] 9,3,T, 3

Frank bets, Don – the meat in the cash sandwich – folds, I raise, Tommy – the cheese in the same sandwich calls, and fearless Fat Russ finally folds. Frank pops it and I cap and Tommy calls.

Frank [X] 5, 2, 7, A
Faldo [Q] Q, K, K, Q
Tommy [X] 4, 8, A, J

Exchange time. Frank with the best looking low passes an exchange, as do I with the lock high. Tommy has to chase Frank to win – knowing full well Frank is capable of bluffing in this spot with a high card or even a paired down card.

Tommy throws off his J and catches a 4, to pair his other 4. Betting is capped again and I am thrilled Tommy is donating.

Tommy thinks for a while then decides to chase me high! He throws off his 8 and buys another 4!

And you can now guess what happens next.

At least I saved the $80 on a possible last round of bets. The quad 4’s were looking at me.

2 comments:

Matchy said...

Bravo! best article in a while. I have never suffered that bad of a beat, that was ugly.

Once in the late stages of a jacks or better trips to win game that was 5 handed I was dealt 33355. I stood pat obviously, and ended up with the WORST hand of the five after draws, that one is for my record books.

I am much better at remembering the losers...

Nik Faldo said...

Matchy, every poker player remembers the losers much better than the winners.
But I get the VERY subtle hint that you want more 'poker felt' war stories from Faldo.