Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Beerhog Returns …and Wins in a Roll!

Twenty-five players made it to NPP for Round 8 and an NPP legend stops by to add to his win total on the Walk of Fame, in his first appearance of 2008.

Beerhog was on fire tonight. [“That’s what she said.” – He also brought with him the joke line of the evening from the TV show “The Office”, which Faldo did not let go all night either. Go figure.]

We also welcomed a new player to the NPP stable – Fusciadi. On to the action:

2 min: Tigercub8189 made it into the tourney under the wire, as Sirgash (25th), fresh off his MI Forum League win, has his (QQ) run into RKidder51400’s (KK).

14 min: Douge2 (24th) bows out as he runs into Beerhog’s straight.

20 min: Didn’t see it as I was getting hands early, but Fusciadi (23rd) got the usual NPP greeting for 1st time players and is out early.

22 min: Smookie27 (22nd) was out next.
30 min: Mistermusic5 (21st) was next.

49 min: A short-stacked CrackBuyer (20th) tries it with (A9) but finds Suetman1 with (AQ).

53 min: Nahanni (19th) has her (55) crash into Beerhog’s (KK).
56 min: Tigercub8189 (18th) now wishes Sirgash would have lost quicker.
57 min: RKidder51400 (17th) runs into LittleRedElf’s (AA).

Break:
Beerhog 4890
ThePunk75 3740
Rennzzo 3490
LittleRedElf 3235
7Jokers 2570
Theedouble*d 2495
Kensik 2410
Biglou93 2150
Bighousea2 2110
Suetman1 1900
Absea98 1890
Nixi44 1600
Whilden 1485
Mikeniks-Faldo 1390
Gumby888 1275
Akensi 870

65 min: Mikeniks-Faldo gets a gift here and poor Suetman1 (16th) earns the “bad beat of the night” award. As you can see, my chip level was low and I have to make a move. I had picked up a few more chips in the play after the break.

I raise from early-middle position with (TT), hoping for folds or all-in raises to make the decision easy on my head. Suetman1 calls and we see the flop 3-handed as the BB called (I think it was ThePunk75).

The flop is [898] and I do not want Claudia’s AK or AQ to run me down, so I move all-in. My Ray Charles hand reading skills are on display again as she actually is holding (KK)! I ruthlessly hit my [T] on the river. Ouch!

66 min: Whilden (15th) was out next. I didn’t see it as I was still apologizing to Suetman1.

73 min: Akensi (14th) was next.
77 min: Biglou93 (13th) next.

79 min: Mikeniks-Faldo got some more dealer love as a Big Blind special nails Bighousea2 (12th). Just for clarification, I had taken some BB crushes by 7Jokers and Beerhog, so I was not getting all love all the time. [That’s what she said!]

I had (Th 6h) and got to limp in from the BB with three other players. The flop is [8h-T-6] – a beauty for me. I bet it and get called only by BigH. The turn is a beautiful [6]. I bet again and get called again. The river is a [3] and I bet again and get raised all-in!

I tank for a while before calling and my small full house crushes the Bighousea2’s Ladies.

83 min: Nixi44 (11th) has her (QQ) run into Beerhog’s (AA). That is scalp #3 for the Hog.

90 min: Interesting hand here. A short-stacked 7Jokers (10th) has to go all-in with (AJ). I see the stack and decide to try and remove not only a very dangerous player, but one that just outplays me regularly. All-in is the only way I can play 7Jokers. He is that good!

Beerhog calls too and we take the flop of [AT8] 3-handed. I check my (AQ) to see what Beerhog will do. He pimps me by betting to start a side pot with (KK). I take the bet to mean he has AT and wants 7Jokers heads up – when in reality – he wants my stack!

The problem I see with this strategy is that he is vulnerable to an Ace, which surely one of us can have. But he succeeds in making me fold and gives 7Jokers life.

The turn and river are cruel to 7Jokers (tying Suetman1 for “bad beat” honors) as the [Q] [J] give Beerhog a straight and his 4th scalp – and would have had Faldo’s too if I had called!

Note to Beerhog: Checking it down gets the same result. Comments anyone on the play of this hand? Forget the result, but was Beerhog right? Was Faldo a wuss folding? I can make a case for Yes Yes, No No, YN and NY.

102 min: A short-stacked and league point leader Rennzzo (9th) has to try it with (A2) and runs into Beerhog’s straight. Victim #5.

107 min: Kensik (8th) cannot get his (KJ) to catch Theedouble*d’s (88).

110 min: Theedouble*d and Beerhog were the two big chip leaders. But with lots of betting on every street of a board of [3 5 J 8 K], Beerhog captures a big pot and chip lead as he moves all-in and DD can’t call.

120 min: Theedouble*d’s (7th) luck does not improve as Absea98 hits an [A] on the river to eliminate DD.

2nd Break:
Beerhog 18610
Absea98 7275
Gumby888 4750
Mikeniks-Faldo 3570
ThePunk75 2835
LittleRedElf 460

It is a little early to be standings watching, but I know LittleRedElf, ThePunk75 and I are well aware of what the next hands can mean to us. Rennzzo will be replaced as league leader, but by whom and by how many?

128 min: Absea98 (6th) had lost a tough hand to ThePunk75 and has to try it with (K6). Gumby888 (5th) has to go with (As Ks), leaving the Beerhog in the think tank. He eventually calls with (55) and the pair holds up! Vicitms #6 and #7! LittleRedElf picks up valuable points on Rennzzo with that result.

129 min: LittleRedElf (4th) finally becomes Beerhog’s 8th victim as the Hog trips Aces.

132 min: I can’t avoid the Beerhog hot streak as Mikeniks-Faldo (3rd) tries with (Ac 3c) but can’t catch Beerhog’s (TT). 9th victim!

Heads up: Beerhog 28500 – ThePunk75 9000
135 min: EVEN!!!!
140 min: ThePunk75 27000 - Beerhog 10500

144 min: Back to near even when ThePunk75 (2nd) bets the flop of [2T7] and with (J5) and gets called. The turn is a [7] and he bets again thinking his over card might be good, but he gets called. The river is his [J] and thinking he has the pot, moves all-in. Beerhog has (75) for the win. Victim #10 tonight that I know of!

Congratulations to ThePunk75 for his 4th straight final table (Rennzzo has done it too this year) and to Beerhog on his triumphant return to NPP in 2009.

1st – Beerhog 20 points
2nd – ThePunk75 14 pts
3rd – Mikeniks-Faldo 10 pts
4th – LittleRedElf 7 pts
5th - Gumby888 5 pts
6th – Absea98 4 pts
7th – Theedouble*d 3 pts
8th – Kensik 2 pts
9th – Rennzzo 1 pt

League standings on right side of blog!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice return Beerhog. Nice to see that lose play can get you something. (Thats what she said).


bigbrimar

Anonymous said...

I played it tight to loose actually. (Thats what she said). I played the percentages until i got into it w/ 7 jokers and misread him for a bluff and it cost me some chips. Then i switched gears.

Your hand in question. Knowing how tight you are (thats what he said) I did bet big to get you out of the way. I had played percentages all night until my first jokers misread and then I went to loose mode and some bullying with the chip lead. I could have played it the other way but thats how everyone else does it and as you know (good or bad) I dont like to play like everyone else all the time.

Good game Punk!

Beerhog

Anonymous said...

Another point Faldo. He was short stacked and I did put him on desperate mode and you had more to loose. If i only check you could have bet your aces with the strong kick and then i was in a bad situation. if i get you out i can loose no more money than what i already have out there! Your thought process was gang up 2 against 1 to get another player out. that is great if u r just trying to eliminate players for the point standings but i dont play very often online so i play to win or crash and burn.......

bh

Anonymous said...

bad beat story---

I had a friend of mine playing on Absolute in the .50 - 1.00 NL hold em where they pay the bad beat jackpot.

He gets into a hand with 8C9C flop is Qc Jc and 2d, preflop rsr bets he calls turn is 10c, he hits his str fl. guy bets he just calls, in pot now is 40$, river is Kc dude goes all in, he sits there and contemplates how does lay down str. fl he calls his last 40$ guy had Kd and Ac, had the str on turn and rivered Royal flush. he loses 60$ plus does not get bad beat because the guy who beat him was only playing one card. that totally sucks but hey its Poker right.

check out this you tube video of a bad beat jackpot hitting on absolute, chips fall all over the place

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKLuiYiaRjA