Monday, December 29, 2008

The Faldo Legend Continues to Grow

It is no secret that Beerhog and Faldo spend quite a few hours of time up at BWW in Brighton. It is a chance to talk business, talk sports, bet sports, have a few beers and cigars – and play poker on the BWW NL Holdem game.

Beerhog and I will usually have a side bet on which one of us will finish with the most chips in any two hour session. This is tricky, because even though he and I are playing for real, many of the other players on the table are playing with fake chips for free – and their play shows.

But sprinkled into this mix are players playing for real - even if it is play money - as the high chip getters get their names up on the big board for both highest ‘weekly’ and highest ‘monthly totals. So it makes for good practice at reading players and their motives while playing.

Regardless, at or near the top of the list every month are JMAX (Beerhog), FALDO (Faldo) - and OLDMAN (Curtis) – a friend and BWW regular at the bar with Beerhog and me.

The recognition of the fact that these three names are always at - or near - the top of the leader board is so prevalent, that many of the part time players are making hybrids of our names when they play!

For example in our last visit, Beerhog and I played against IMAX, OLDMN, and (are you ready for this?) FALDO2, FALDDO, and FFALDO – all at the same time!

They say impersonation is the greatest form of flattery, but this is just plain spooky. We don’t know any of these people either. – Faldo

2 comments:

Matchy said...

The other night when I called you from BWW I registered as MMM. I think I left with >24,000 after an hour, but it was by totally ridiculous play and pure luck. So in other words, I was playing my regular game. I did indeed see Faldo and Jmax at the top of the heap. What does Jmax stand for anyway???I thought J(ack)O(ff)max would be more appropriate.

By the way, here is a great reason to leave the wife at home when going to this establishment. They had these great big drafts for like $2, and my wife ordered a $7.50 margarita!

Anonymous said...

Well, I see the legend continues for JMAX as well.







R.S.