Thursday, April 17, 2008

Legend of the White Whale – Part III

Writing this to ease the pain of losing yet another player from the NPP Tuesday game:

In this segment we will have to veer away from the White Whale himself – before continuing with the continuing saga that is - the White Whale. I have to set up the situation first.

Fat Russ was a bookie, just as my softball coach “Frank” was. But Russ was a much bigger bookie than Frank. Frank usually laid off bets he didn’t want or were too big to handle - to Russ.

Russ, I’m pretty sure, dealt with the top of the bookie chain in those days in the Detroit area. Organized crime guys and money movers to Las Vegas itself. Russ was not involved in any of that mob stuff, but that is where you had to go in those days to move the volume of action he took and wanted.

Fat Russ would come to watch our softball games when he had to give or get money from Frank. But what Russ loved to do was watch the other teams practice before the start of their game and have Frank make a run line on this game.

Frank would make a line and Russ would pick a team – either giving or getting runs – and these two would bet $1000 a game. Now there might be one, two or three games in between our game time - and some on multiple diamonds! I never found out who came out on top in these bets, but I'm positive it was Frank. Russ, since he was there anyway, just wanted the ‘action’.

I might have told some of this story to some of you at our NPP card games.

Russ also played poker at Frank’s regular game. It was a Wednesday night game of rich plumbing contractors and electricians, local TV sports reporters, McDonalds’ restaurant owners, Detroit slum lords, other bookies and ex-Detroit Lion football players.

Frank had recruited me as a shill to help get the game started. He basically gave me my 'real' poker start. He taught me the game and staked me in the game. All profit was mine and all losses were on him. The stakes for the game were $10 - $20 limit – but unlimited betting when heads-up. Which back in the 1970’s was not considered a small game. What a deal for me!

I was to play until I got the ‘signal’ that he needed that seat for a pigeon. Obviously, he could only beat me out of his own money. Not a good situation for him. I would usually play from 7pm to midnight, then claim I had class in the morning (I usually did too) and cash out.

Texas Holdem, Omaha and Omaha Hi/Lo was dealt some. But the game we played the most was 5-stud Hi/Lo and you could exchange a card (3 times) for $5. That means there were seven betting rounds ($10 normal - $20 with a pair showing or when the five cards were out) and most reached $80 a player per round. It got real bloody – but everyone had a ton of cash. There were thousands of dollars on the table and in everyone’s pockets – but mine. I occasionally walked out with some of it.

Well most of the time I did walk out winners. I was doing well enough to where Frank still funded me, but I had to pay him back for bad nights before I could take the gravy. I was not a good player, but these guys were even worse. Except for Russ and Frank of course, I was the best player there.

What I remember about playing against Russ was; he was never late to the game and always took the seat to left of Frank. Worst seat in the game, except probably to Russ’s right. I never understood why Russ sat there.

Russ played poker without any fear of losing. Russ let absolutely no pain ever shown on his face. He was always in a joking mood – win or lose - and completely fearless. And he was capable of any move at any time for any amount of money.

Even Frank couldn’t get a handle on Russ or wrestle control of the table away from him – even though he had position on him every single week!

But Russ did have one Achilles Heel, despite his steel resolve at the poker table.

That weakness was – the White Whale! I will explain that in Part IV.

17 comments:

Matchy said...

I love the white whale/ Faldo's past life stories, keep ,em coming Mike.

I will make a semi-embarrassing confession now...I had never even heard of Texas hold 'em unitil the move "Rounders" made it to video (probably in 1999).

I used to play penny ante with my family when I was in elementary school. Boother, myself and alot of our buddies had been playing poker and other related games for years, but never hold 'em or even Omaha. When I watched this movie ten or so years ago, I did not even understand the concept of community cards! Compared to Mike I am a johnny-come-lately to the world of "real" poker.

Did anyone else learn about hold 'em through Rounders, or dare I say it, even after that watching the WSOP?

Anonymous said...

More whale....More Whale!!!!

Anonymous said...

Mike gave me my start at age 12, thanks a load Mike, all these bad beats...

anyway Matchy most players never heard of Hold-em until moneymaker won..................thats what I find so funny after that is when the tournaments really took off.....

Also Matchy I read that post by staple player and I don't know why it made you feel like you do ( it shouldn't) .... I took it as Nahanni should feel fortunate to be invited into a private tourney and just keep her trap shut, its ironic the first tourney I play she starts bad mouthing me and I don't even know her....

its just too bad Mike has been so hard up to recruit, I had to recruit a neighbor of Seans and if I didn't I wouldn't have to deal with the loud mouth Nahanni hahaa

just kidding match I luv you brother...........

see you on the diamonds, ......

by the way Mike, ( nahanni will be happy to hear that I too like 747 will be out of action) I am busy on Tuesdays, so you may not see me until the tourny of champions but if she qualifies you probably won't see me then either.

have a good one

Aqua

Anonymous said...

matchy,


i started playing poker around 12 years old. yep, 10 years ago! my grandfather and uncle taught me how to play. we mostly played stud games. but when my grandfather was not playing we did play some holdem. i didnt start playing omaha until i hooked up with the slack jaws at npp. i do like the game though.

beerhog

Anonymous said...

I started playing competitive poker in 1994, after a young Nik Faldo hired me to work for him.

As I remember it, he said I needed to play poker and chess, and that golf was for 'pussies'.

After some early success at NPP, I have been a player since.

Herbavor

Anonymous said...

I will admit that I started playing poker after it exploded on TV...which I am thinking is just after Moneymaker won. So yes, I jumped on the bandwagon along with the masses. What drew me into the game was how on TV, they would show the percentage that a hand would win. When I saw how mathematical the game was, I was hooked (that's the nerdy engineer in me). I bought a ton of books and read a lot on the game (all NL hold'em...although within the past month I have been reading up on limit hold'em) and really love the math component of the game.......I love the psychological component of the game too! So I’ve been playing for about 3 or 4 years…eventually I may start trying some different games…but I’ve tried stud before and I didn’t find it isn’t as exciting as NL hold’em…at any rate, it probably would be good to branch out and try some different games just to mix it up every once and a while.

Hey Mike…when are you going to post voting buttons for higher buy-in games?

Nik Faldo said...

I'm skepical Nahanni. We are losing players now. If we up the cost, we will end up with a 5 or 6 player game. We can find those now anytime we want on the internet.

This is a league concept. Play season and have a championship. If the buy-in could have been $1.10, I would of put it there.

If it could have been no prize money and just the $.50 to Poker Stars - per player - I would of chose that option.

If we ever get 18 regular players and a waiting list, I will consider it.

Anonymous said...

well...i'm just talking about voting buttons...not changing it...just seeing if there was interest. you are the organizer and I am happy with whatever you do. I wonder if you can create private free money tables...??? Question...is the championship game a big buy-in then? is it live?

Nik Faldo said...

No, Poker Stars won't let me create free money tables. They want some kind of rake.

The Championship Game will be the standard buy - in.

But the password for the Championship Game will cost $10,000 payable to Nik Faldo WSOP and Ballet Fund.

Anonymous said...

HEY Mike NahunNii asked in previous post if you would please remove me and 747 from your stat sheet,, thats fine with me but please allow me to sell my seat I already have in the tourney of champions.....


hey beerhog, tigercub or Matchy would you like to buy my seat....it will go to highest bidder, please send money to AQUALUNG85

GOOD LUCK REST OF SEASON BOYS MY SOFTBALL LEAGUE STARTS TUESDAY PLUS I HAVE TWO YOUNG BOYS PLAYING BASEBALL........

HAVE A GOOD ONE

AQUA

Nik Faldo said...

Seats to the NPP Championship are the sole ownership of Niks Poker Palace - subject to all laws, rules, regulations hereto, therefore, to wit, e pluribus unim, habious corpus dilecti, and finally - Moe, Larry, the cheese!

Seats are not transferable, sellable, rentable and cannot be used to barter for sex (the Committee may waive the last one - depending).

NPP has a built in safety valve in case seat winners are unable to make the Championship - due to illness, bankruptcy, jail sentence, finding religion with Hussein Obama, moving to Iowa (for God sakes!), telling Poker Stars to fornicate with itself or associating with Tolly.

That is the Total Points List! This is why you are never out of it - as long as you are in it!

It's never over until the final river card is turned. So get yourself into the game, get your friends into the game - and then be sure to ship the cookies to Faldo.

Anonymous said...

HAPPINESS? a good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman- or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle ----------GEORGE BURNS



Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a mans enjoyment of his cigar------- Mark Twain


thought you might like these quotes mike

Nik Faldo said...

I do like these quotes!!!
Going to borrow them for the website cigar area.

Anonymous said...

Visited a Buffalo Wild Wings with Nik Faldo last Saturday.

An interesting drink special is the "JMAX couple's drink" served with matching his & his straws.

Anonymous said...

Is that the drink you and Mike shared?

Nik Faldo said...

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Anonymous said...

they shared the anal to anal straw!



beerhog