Thursday, January 04, 2007

Matchy Picks Up Where He Left Off In 2006 - Kicking Our Butts!

Matchy won his third tourney out of four - beating your humble scribe at the final table. Congrats to Matchy. Well done.

Five players made to the first one of the new year. It's going to be a long long year on the internet if this keeps up. Where is everyone? Here is the action.

Beerhog took a page out of Phil Hellmuth's playbook and sat out the first 15 hands.

I got hurt early as I overplayed my top pair of Q's and lost to Matchy's KK hand.

DavetheDog and Cigar4John crossed swords early and often but battled to a draw.

Dave and I hooked up in a pot - with me flopping top and middle pair and Dave hit middle and bottom pair. Two pair is a very hard hand to get away from. I even hit the full house on the turn. That crippled Dave and got me some ammo back I lost to Matchy.

Beerhog took the Dog out (5th) with a pair of Aces versus a pair of Kings.

Matchy cripples Beerhog next when his KK hits a K on the flop and Beerhog is holding KJ. Ouch!

Cigar4John takes Beerhog out (4th) when his K9s outlasts Beerhog's 34s.

Play goes on 3 handed for a half hour Matchy takes out Cigar (3rd) with A7 versus John's KQ.

Two handed goes back and forth a few times with both of us getting the chip lead. Twice Matchy takes a 4 to 1 chip lead and I have to battle back to about even. I say about even.

I finally make a move with KJ (2nd) and Matchy holds A6 and calls, and when I don't improve, Matchy takes the title.

1st - Matchy
2nd - Nik Faldo
3rd - Cigar4John
4th - Beerhog
5th - DavetheDog

Next game Tuesday, same password. What game do you want Matchy?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We can stick with hold 'em. C'mon 747, Boother etc. show up and lets shoot for 2 tables.
Matchy

Anonymous said...

Not like I'm a high-roller or anything, but it is difficult to spend two hours of free time on a five dollar tournament.

The game would move rapidly up the priority list if it were for $10, $15, or $20 buy-in.

SpartanToJo

BTW, I'll be representing NPP in Vegas later this month. Any poker room recommendations for me?

Nik Faldo said...

Sparty, we can raise the stakes if that will get more players. I think it would do just the opposite.

The idea of the internet tourney is to get our insults in until we can do it in person at the NPP game. Also to introduce new players to internet poker and maybe the NPP game.

What are the exact dates of your trip to Vegas, Sparty?

I like the Mirage, but the tables are tough.

The Luxor had a decent room. Daily tourneys too.

And you have to play an hour or two at Binions - the original home of the WSOP.

I had really good fortune at the Flamingo at the low limit tables. I played there one night where six of the 9 seats were taken up by a future groom and his ushers - all smashed beyond belief.

I was sober when I got there but smashed when I left - and very healthy in the wallet.

Anonymous said...

I think Boother may bring in another buddy of ours. Who knows maybe one or both will make it to the live NPP.

I actually like the $5 game. It is more about the cards than the money for me I guess.

Matchy