Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Faldo Wins NPP #8

Well there goes the neighborhood. How did you guys and gal let this happen? I'm the only one in the world with a longer history of losing than the Detroit Lions, Chicago Cubs and Toronto Maple Leafs - combined!

I almost played this one at BWW. But my wife was not feeling well and decided to help her out and stay home. That way she didn’t have to drive up there to make sure I had beer and didn’t need anything. Don’t tell me I’m not compassionate.

A very aggressive group of 9 players made it to the felt this night. McGuiness and Tigercub failed to register in time, while Nahanni, Rownder and Aqualung just slip in under the deadline. Maybe this is why everyone played like they had a plane to catch. It was just last week that nine players made it to the break! This week, only four survived until then.

18 min: Boother (9th) made a small raise with his (QQ) but got some callers. The flop of rags seemed to miss everyone and he goes all-in. But a Poker Stars big blind special has Duder hitting two pair on the flop with (74).

20 min: A short-stacked ArticBlast (8th) goes all-in when he gets a pair on the flop. But my (Faldo) suited over-cards catch a flush on the river.

Things slow down now until ten minutes before the break. Then Nahanni decides to gut the table like a fish.

50 min: Aqualung (7th) goes all-in with (AJ) but runs into Nahanni’s (AQ).

54 min: Beerhog’s (6th) goes all-in with (AT) but runs into Nahanni’s (AK).

57 min: A short-stacked Rownder (5th) goes all-in with (Q9) but runs into Nahanni’s (AK).

Break:
Sev4TSev 5825
Nahanni 3475
Faldo 2740
Duder 1460

70 min: The ‘sick’ hand of the night. A short-stacked Duder (4th) goes all-in with (AQ) with a flop of [Q72] and gets called in the big blind by the chip leader, Sev4TSev holding (Q6). But there is a [Q] on the turn and the death card [6] on the river.

76 min: Poor Nahanni (3rd) tried to make some moves but kept running into slightly better hands that I was holding. I probably took 7 of 8 pots from her either out – kicking her or pairing a small card on the turn or river to edge her out. Normally I am the person losing those, but not this night.

Now short-stacked Nahanni goes all-in with (QJ) and runs into Sev4TSev’s (66). A [6] on the flop ends the drama.

Heads up now –with 8500 and Faldo with 5000. Now I do to Sev4TSev what I did to Nahanni – win every small pot from here on out. This turns the tables and now I have an 11000 to 2500 lead!

We both take a flop of [Ks 7c 9d]. I make a 400 bet with middle pair (9h 3h), and why not? I have been running over the card dead Sev4TSev (2nd) to this point. He calls. The turn is the [6d].

I check here still undecided as to whether I will call an all-in or not. My hearts are not out there but now diamonds are. For some reason I am not convinced Sev4TSev has a {K}. I’m thinking (or wanting to believe) he has something like {Qd} and another small diamond like a {7d} or {8d}. When he checks too, for some reason my feeling he has a {K} goes from 10% to 40%.

The river is a [6c], and Sev4TSev goes all-in. Think time. Do I go with my original read of a busted straight or flush draw – or fold to the higher two pair or trips I may have let him draw to? I’m 60-40 that he missed his draw, so I call and he shows his (8d 7h) for a lower two pair.

I win my first NPP of the year. Is it November already?

1st – Mikeniks (Faldo) 35 pts
2nd – Sev4TSev 29 pts
3rd – Nahanni 12 pts
4th – Duder 16 pts
5th – Rownder 18 pts
6th – Beerhog 16 pts
7th – Aqualung 27 pts
8th – ArticBlast 2 pts
9th – Boother 7 pts
Matchy 20 pts
McGuiness 18 pts
Tigercub 8 pts

2 comments:

Matchy said...

Good job Mike. I have been sick as a dog and actually went to the doc yesterday. My wife said I was too sick to play poker so I listened, that way she would continue to wait on me hand and foot. Now hopefully these antibiotics will kick in.

Anonymous said...

good job faldo.

beerhog