Thursday, September 11, 2008

I Got a Bum Steer in Traverse City - One Bad, One Good

Up in Traverse City, MI on business. I checked into the hotel at about 2pm since I got done with my meeting in Cadillac early.

I found a tourney on Bodog and signed up. I figured I could write my trip report and play in the tourney at the same time.

Anyway, I made it to the final two tables, with the tourney paying only the final table of nine.

With 12 players left, and me 8th in chips, I get (Ah Kh) in the small blind. Here we go.

The cutoff (10th in chips) makes the standard raise as the first one in. I got the 12th place guy in the big blind and I would love for him to come along - or make the forced all-in with hopefully a hand like (AQ).

I juice it to force the BB all-in, if he calls. But he folds and it is the cutoff who goes all-in. Well, I guess I can play a lap from 11th place with a fold or ....

All-in and lose to (QQ).

Next hand, I go all-in with (AQ) and lose to an unimproved (AK). I finish 12th, instead of those two mopes!

Time for dinner and some beer to drown my sorrows.

If and when you get to Traverse City, a must stop is Mode's Bum Steer. It is a small bar south of main street (129 e. State St.) - and it serves Black Angus steaks!

A sign posted right after you enter says quite plainly, "NO YOUNGSTEERS". I like that in a steak place.

Unfortunately, it is now smoke free - which meant the cigar had to be enjoyed outside after dinner. In Traverse City, in late summer, this is not exactly a step down.

The steaks are served with a huge Iceberg lettuce wedge, smothered in the dressing of your choice. I always get the blue cheese dressing because the chunks of cheese are the size of Milk Duds!

It also comes with a baked potato (fries or rice can be substituted) the thickness of your balled up fist and as long as from the tip of your middle finger to past your watchband! A spud on steriods!

I got the grilled mushrooms on top of my 8 oz Filet Mignon. I owed it to myself for my tough loss.

Had a Sam Adams Octoberfest prior to ordering and another to wash the dinner down.

Next was a walk on the beach, smoking a Licenciado Toro, after purchasing a tall Foster's at the beach side bar.

I sat on the bench to finish my great cigar and beer - and watch the sun set on the bay. Then came in here to tell you about the rotten luck I had in that tourney, while watching football in the room. Pity me. - Faldo

No comments: