Friday, June 19, 2009

Luck Must Be a Lady – She is Taking All My Money - II

We were discussing the luck factor in poker. Let’s look at some more quotes on the subject.

[Pro Luck] “Amateurs overemphasize luck and pros overemphasize skill. It takes both to win.” – Tex Sheahan
[Con Luck] “I am a great believer in luck. The harder I work the more I have of it.” – Thomas Jefferson

Founding Father/president Thomas Jefferson never saw me bubble in five tournaments on three computer screens almost simultaneously.

[Pro Luck] “Lucky is winning in spite of all the reasons you shouldn’t.” – L. P. Roach
[Con Luck] “Successful people are lucky. Just ask any failure.” – Michael Levine

Roach nailed our last presidential primaries.

[Pro Luck] “How much of winning a tournament is luck? I think the most reasonable mathematical definition would result in an estimate of 75% luck and 25% skill.” – Chris Ferguson
[Con Luck] “I find I am luckier when I work harder.” – Dr. Denton Cooley

Practice, study and work will make sure you at least get close to Ferguson’s 25% mark.

[Pro Luck] “Tournament winners combine extremely good judgment with some lucky breaks. The trick is to survive long enough to put yourself in the position to get lucky.” – Tom McEvoy
[Con Luck] “It is hard to detect good luck. It looks so much like something you earned.” – Frank Clark

I think Tom and Frank are on the same page!

Well, after two pages of quotes by poker and non-poker players alike, Faldo is ready to make the final statement on the matter:

“Luck IS a lady. The bad one wastes your money and breaks your heart. The good one is never on time when you need her most.”

No comments: