Thursday, October 25, 2007

Re-Buy Tournament Strategies

My anti-swing mindset automatically turned me against re-buy tournaments for a couple reasons. First, I didn’t know what the tourney was going to end up costing me – one or ten buy-ins? Second, the all-in maniacs would either knock me out early and broke. Or gather so many chips I would be bullied the rest of the tournament. Naw, I skipped them.

My negative outlook ignored the positive aspect - the prize pool is much larger - with fewer actual opponents. Can we dare say the word ‘overlay’?

I just needed a different strategy than the one I had for Freezeout tournaments. So here is the one I found thru Todd Arnold at Card Player Magazine;

To counter the fear of what it is going to cost, mentally accept that it may spend up to seven times the original buy-in amount. You may go over - or under - that seven number, depending on your attitude at the time, the table dynamics and the blind level when re-buying, but at least the budget is consider.

Secondly, start with the automatic re-buy and mentally accept that you will buy the add-on.
Third, plan on being ‘active.’ Raise with any playable hand – pre-flop - and note who is ‘gambling’ and who is sitting on the sidelines getting frustrated and waiting for a monster to break you. After the flop, play normal poker.

If you don’t get all your chips in the middle at least three times before the re-buy session ends, you are playing too tight. Chip stacks and table image is much more important than cards. If it is a coin-flip situation or better, gamble at every opportunity.

The goal is to grow your stack exponentially during the re-buy time and not let the blinds or the other player’s chips intimidate you yet.

Now let’s look at the negative aspect [Ed. Note: which I usually tend to do].

Let’s say you lose every coin flip and are sitting there with only the initial buy-in amount and spent the seven entries budgeted. Are you in a world of hurt?

Not really. You still have enough chips in relation to the blinds to not be in serious trouble to where you have to play all-in poker at this point. You can now settle in and play some serious poker because…

Secondly, there is a mountain of chips at your table just waiting to be collected!

Third, you maniac image will get paid off at least once or twice if you start winning some pots. - end

I plan on trying this strategy this winter. – Nik Faldo

4 comments:

Nik Faldo said...

My Dearest Redneck Son Beerhog,

I'm writing this slow because I know you can't read fast.

I undderstand yu play kurds heer sometimes, so I thunk I's rite yu.

We don't live where we did when you left home. Your dad read in the newspaper that most accidents happen within 20 miles of your home, so we moved. I won't be able to send you the address because the last West Virginia family that lived here took the house numbers when they moved so they wouldn't have to change their address.

This place is really nice. It even has a washing machine. I'm not sure about it. I put a load of clothes in and pulled the chain. We haven't seen them since.

The weather isn't bad here. It only rained twice last week; the first time for three days and the second time for four days.

About that coat you wanted me to send; your Uncle Billy Bob said it would be too heavy to send in the mail with the buttons on, so we cut them off and put them in the pockets.

Bubba locked his keys in the car yesterday. We were really worried because it took him two hours to get me and your father out.

Your sister had a baby this morning, but I haven't found out what it is yet so I don't know if you are an aunt or uncle.

Uncle Bobby Ray fell into a whiskey vat last week. Some men tried to pull him out but he fought them off and drowned. We had him cremated, he burned for three days.

Three of your friends went off a bridge in a pickup truck. Butch was driving. He rolled down the window and swam to safety. Your other two friends were in the back. They drowned because they couldn't get the tailgate down!

There isn't much more news at this time. Nothing much out of the normal has happened.

Your Favorite Aunt,
Mom

Anonymous said...

ha ha.....i dont have a friend named butch......


beerhog

Anonymous said...

You do now, sundance.

Anonymous said...

got to luv the pastel suits on this 80s band

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8rejFCjzE0