Friday, February 19, 2010

Faldo Offers Up Some Advice – Yeah, It Could Be Used for Poker

1. I had a boss that was a complete jerk 99% of the time. One day he started acting like we were best buddies and I was the most important person on his team. Why?

A cute coed that didn’t even notice I was in the class with her, all of a sudden acts like I am Brad Pitt. Why?

A customer that made my career a living hell for three months, all of a sudden is as agreeable as a $20 hooker you gave $100 to. Why?

When a person does something that is completely different than his usual personality or traits – ask yourself – WHY?

2. You’ve seen them or read about them. Guys that win a bundle or lose a half bundle – and their expression and method of play never change. Some guys you barely notice at all, but when they get up to leave, they always seem to have a half to a full rack more chips than they sat down with.

Which is correct? Both – or neither one. We are all different and there are many ways to play poker. Granite rock or super aggressive – and every degree in between. Some people never change – some people change gears with the ease of a Formula One driver.

There is no magic bullet to success in poker, which is why our game is so fascinating with only 52 tickets for the ballgame.

Pick your style and game - and if you are good at it – you will win.

3. I was grilling hamburgers on my deck. I was flipping onto a plate to take to the table when I over – pitched one and onto the deck it fell. I let it lay there until after dinner. When I went to put the grill away, I picked up the fallen burger and tossed it towards the trees on the side of my yard. I figured some critters could use the food.

I was right. My neighbor’s dog was let out for his evening business – and found that hamburger. Well good for him.

But I noticed over time, that the first thing that dog does EVERY time he is let out of the house, is make a bee line for that same tree. He probably forgot why he runs to that tree and doesn’t even know why he still does.

Did you ever do something crazy at a poker game – either a hand or an entire evening’s play – and score a big win? Do you always start out that way or – worse yet – revert to it if the cards are not cooperating?

Pay attention to rote habits you have and decide whether or not they help you.

6 comments:

Nik Faldo said...

I see Dave the Dog 4 Putt has been hitting the cooking sherry again. The pictures were changed, not sized correctly and the captions made no sense sometimes. I fixed it.

Nik Faldo said...

And 4 Putt - you have your pic section. Please refrain from using Faldo's two pic frames. Feel free to add another. I am sure our readers will not mind.

I guess someone doesn't like snakes. (twss)

Anonymous said...

I want to address Question #1. It is so obvious. These people have all changed because you are finally a winner again. LOL
Congrats. DD

Anonymous said...

Did you ever do something crazy at a poker game – either a hand or an entire evening’s play – and score a big win? Do you always start out that way or – worse yet – revert to it if the cards are not cooperating?

Pay attention to rote habits you have and decide whether or not they help you.

I have a tendency to think that the big pusher is full of it. Even when I know he is usually tight. I have been very successful at predicting this in some big hands and tourneys, and it has served me well. But I think this "calling station" behavior has also derailed me near as often as it has put me over the top. If I keep it up and don't consider the player I am up against, It is going to hurt me long term.

Anonymous said...

iam sorry Tiger

Anonymous said...

i'm sorry 99% of the NPP field...